Introduce Yourself

Discussion in 'Misc. Quadcopter & Multirotor discussions' started by IceFyre13th, Mar 20, 2013.

1. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

----------------

2. Theare95

Theare95 New Member

Hey there,
    I found your forum on good 'ol google. I'm a little new to the field of drones/quadcopters. I recently purchased a UDI U818A. It's nothing fancy but it was definitely a lot of fun when it wasn't windy as heck outside. I'm thinking I might be getting something nicer soon. No DIY's yet. I'll probably shop around for a while.
    Nice to meet you all,
    Charles

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  3. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

Hi Charles,

Welcome aboard! And don't forget to hit the Home tab in the upper left hand corner, lotsa good stuff there.

4. Freeflyer

Freeflyer New Member

Been lurking for awhile. Just wanted to say "Hi!". I'm new to the forum but not totally new to RC. Had several cars and trucks when i was younger. Over the last couple of years I have picked up couple of helicopters, a mini drone and two other drones. My latest is a Syma X8C Venture. Not a big buck kinda thing but a fun kinda thing. Seems like it's gonna be a good time and I look forward to participating in the forum. Thanks for having me.

5. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

No reason to apologize for your Syma. :)

Welcome to the forum.

6. SierraMadreMe

SierraMadreMe New Member

Another newbie,with more questions than sense.:D

I'm an old poop living in the Philippines on my SS.

I got the bug to buy a drone and have it sent here by friends.I'm just like the rest of the noobs,looking for advice from the more experienced guys.

I am seeing that the Syma X5C-1 is a pretty popular first drone.Also saw a recommendation for the Syma X8C Venture.Is it likely that the Venture might be a tad too difficult for a total novice?

Is either of these Symas be a suitable choice for camera drones for an extended period (ie: my only camera drone)?I'm thinking that I will want a fast quad as soon as I feel I can handle one.The problem is the cost of shipping,and the seeming rush by the Philippine government to control (profit from) drone popularity.Therefore I was thinking about buying one of the Syma models I mentioned,and perhaps an Eachine Falcon 250 FPV.

I know I am getting ahead of myself here,but just trying to get ahead of the need to control everything by the government.

I am open to all advice...and really would appreciate any constructive comments.

Thanks.

SMM

7. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

Do companies like Banggood ship to the Philippines? If so, that would seem an easy way to get access to many models.

The X5C is a good starter toy - just make sure to get extra batteries, an extra charger and extra motors for repair. No, it won't make you happy when you really want to do more (racing or aerial photography/video), but it will help you learn the basics and then you can decide how to go from there.

8. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

Hi,
    I'd say so, for one it's a lot heavier. You will be crashing a lot at first, the light weight X5C can take a fair amount of punishment. Crashes that don't faze the X5C can cause havoc with the X8C. Another thing I've seen a lot of lately is lotsa problems within the first few flights. A lot of motor replacements and main board replacements. They've either cheapened it or their QC has suffered.

Welcome and Good Luck.

9. SierraMadreMe

SierraMadreMe New Member

webman:

It probably is a good choice to begin with then considering everything.At least it isn't overly expensive.I notice you suggest an extra charger.Is that because of the provided charger is slow to charge?Just curious.Actually,I have a Thunder ac680 charger around here somewhere that could probably handle the charging chores. The extra batteries and props and motors is a given.Too bad that these motors are brushed,but if they weren't,the drone would be more expensive.

I imagine that Banggood would ship here,but the import duty would be significant,as this country pounces on any opportunity to make some $. Therefore,I can have family send it via alternate means.It takes a lot longer,but it is cheaper in the long run.

10. SierraMadreMe

SierraMadreMe New Member

Thanks for the insight on the Venture, RGJameson.No sense starting off with 2 strikes against me.I'll stick with the X5 then.I'll buy the extra parts and fly the heck out of it.:)

RGJameson likes this.
  11. webman

If you can rig up another charger you are golden.
    My point is that the USB chargers often fail and you don't want to be stuck not flying because you only have one option.

12. FlyerFocus.com

FlyerFocus.com New Member

Hello all, I'm John. I've been a commercial rated pilot since 1993 and a photographer since before that. There's lots of my aviation photography is on my site, www.flyerfocus.com, or on my https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnkingphotography-com/ page.

I think I am ready to make the leap into droning but I have no idea what to buy. I'd like to be able to shoot videos for fun but also get into the real-estate-for-sale drone video market (there are tons of realtors around where I live). I have no idea what to buy. I'd like something that I can put a hi-res cam on (or that comes with one) and makes smooth videos, can get up to legal altitude, and has a decent battery life--all without costing me an arm and a leg. I welcome your suggestions! -- John

13. gwtx

gwtx New Member

Another "old poop" that got the bug more than a year ago. Took a long time to decide on a bird, and the decision to spend the money. I have a P 3A on the way, and I'm anxious to get started flying. I have owned and flown a few small planes, Cessna's, Aeronca, Piper etc. I don't have one any more, and I really miss flying around the rural area I live in, watching the deer and other wildlife. So this is as close as I can get to doing that again. There is a pretty steep learning curve for an older guy, and so far there are a lot of things I haven't been able to find information on, so, I'll be asking a lot of questions,,,hope you don't mind.

14. webman

If you have flown some planes I don't think you will have many problems with this - you will be amazed at the built-in intelligence.
    You do have to take some time to get familiar with the Go App - and there is a simulator in there if you want to fiddle around without lifting off.

The main thing is to do your first number of flights in an open area so that trees or houses don't get in your way as you learn your way around the app and machine.

15. gwtx

gwtx New Member

Thanks for the reply, and thanks for the effort in managing the website.

16. JRC4220

JRC4220 New Member

Hi i found this RC group and i found it very interesting, im new in the Quadcopter world.

I started with a Surveyour Drone from radioshack that i think its very usefull if you are starting to fly.
    It hurt less to crash a $35 dlls quad than a $400 dlls.

Now im using a Parrot Bebop and im very glad with it i found it very interesting.

By the way im from Mexico.
    Ill be posting all my questions soon LOL i have some.

17. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

Welcome to the party. :)

18. Gadg3t

Gadg3t New Member

Hey Guys,

Glad to have found this community, I'm hoping to gain knowledge from you all, and potentially get my drone up in that air as soon as possible.

I own an inherited DJI f550, which has not been a pleasurable experience to own, and of course not an ideal beginners choice. Why? Because its been a money pit, and still I haven't had the pleasure to experience flying it. I'll post pictures of what I currently own, and hopefully acquire some expert direction on how to get this thing up in that air.

Thanks guys!

19. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

Welcome Gadg3t. Don't get discouraged. Maybe you should grab an inexpensive throwaway (and spare battery) to wet your whistle.

This certainly seems like a good deal for $31. It can be quite docile for starting out and quite acrobatic in higher rates. Amazon also has them for a few $ more.

20. Anthony Walker

Anthony Walker New Member

Hi i have been looking into drones for many years but have always just sat on the fence but today i ordered my first drone from dji and i am looking forward to receiving it in the next few weeks.