Introduce Yourself

Discussion in 'Misc. Quadcopter & Multirotor discussions' started by IceFyre13th, Mar 20, 2013.

1. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

Well, if price is not an object, you have lots of choices!

At the lower end of the scale, the Phantom Vision is all set up to take video or still pictures and has a long flight time. They have just released new software for waypoints (autonomy)....

Another to consider is the new 3D Robotics Pixi, which is just coming out now. This also has ground stations software, but you will have to outfit it with the camera of your choice - lots of cameras shoot HD - even the Mobius ($90), or GoPro black ($400)...but you can step up from there to heavier quads and hex machines which fly real cameras.

If you are going to do it as a hobby, then these are good quadcopters. If you are going to go to the next level and do it for professional use, then you may want to check out other forums like multirotorforums.com where the higher level of quadcopters are discussed. These cost (US $) from $2500 - $8000 or so, and carry real cameras (DSLR or video). DJI has one entry in this class - their s800
    http://www.dji.com/product/spreading-wings-s800-evo/

2. HX4

HX4 New Member

Hello Quique! Just a hobby level flier. Not exactly "experienced". Just couple months (+12hrs of flying time), but taking the plunge into FPV/image capture quad flying. Zero hours of flight video. Have become a RC Logger convert. Picked up their mini size OneS to check out their product and customer service. Both excellent. Just placed an order for their 450 size unit. Check out their website for detailed info. They have distribution and dealers in Europe. Consider the OneS for a 1st unit to develop a feel for quad flying & making up your own mind regarding the company. Smaller investment if you happen to have a bad incident as a new flier.

Why a RC Logger fan:
    1. Quality product with excellent customer service.
    2. Modular system allow use of their proprietary hardware, aftermarket hardware, TX of your choice (450 and 650 sized models). New hardware has been back compatible with older gear. As a retired pilot you may like the option of FPV(first person view) with OSD(on screen display) data (orientation, speed, environmental, gps....)
    3. Spare/replacement parts directly from RC Logger at a fair price.
    4. R&D, product development departments(?Germany, HongKong and USA) that actively updates hardware and software. Software for windows and Mac!

Off for an indoor session with the OneS:).

webman likes this.
  3. Krazykat

Krazykat New Member

I'm brand-spanking new to quadcopters. I was drawn to it by the aerial vids on YouTube. I'm just in the infant-stage... learning to fly with a Syma X1. When I get it down, I will upgrade to something better and try my hand at aerial photography.

webman likes this.
  4. DCrane

DCrane New Member

webman likes this.
  5. Burns

Burns New Member

Hi everyone! I'm Ross from Toronto. I came here from reading Mr.Issod's very helpful book.

Ever since I was a kid I wanted remote control vehicles that could fly, but they were always out of my price range.

One of the great things about being a grown up is being able to afford the ridiculous thing you've always wanted so here we are!

I started buying quadrocopters on October of last year, and I already have a handful of different models.

I don't think I'm ever going to be dropping a tonne of money on one since I'm not really in it for the more advanced features, just the fun of flying.

webman likes this.
  6. Tom Wolves

Tom Wolves New Member

Hello all! I just started to fly quads, I purchased a nano to learn about these flying machines.In the future I would like to get a blade 350qx so I can do nature video around our home.So I figured I would start here for folks with more experience and advice. From what I have read the 350qx could be a problem, maybe by the time that I am ready, they will have the bugs worked out, until then I will practise with the nano.Hope to talk to you all soon.I also purchased a book for beginners on flying rc quads.
    TW

webman likes this.
  7. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

Welcome, all.....

I am going to write an article on this, but in terms of buying ANY quadcopter early in it's sales life, that's always taking a chance. Lots of hobbyists consider themselves "pioneers" and enjoy all the discussion and modification that often ensues after a new copter release...BUT, those who are purely interested in flying or accomplishing something (photog, etc.) should probably wait a minimum of 6 months after a new unit is released. By that point, most of the initial bugs are identified and fixed...

Although I want to review new models like the Eye One Extreme, I am going to wait at least an additional 60 days after the release in order to be fair to the maker and the quad. It always cost something to be on the bleeding edge....

8. Liam

Liam New Member

Hey everyone! Liam here, 1st time on this forum, having oodles of trouble setting failsafe on a new custom built Witespy HT-450 Multiwii with GPS and Horyzon 1080p with Fatshark. Using a Spektrum DX6.I Are there some Spektrum RX that cannot set failsafe?
    I am not putting this bird into the air until I get the failsafe right
    HELP SOMEONE!!
    Liam

9. IceFyre13th

IceFyre13th Guest

Welcome....is it a DX6i or DX6 V2 or DX6 DSM or DX6 DSMX

10. R.J. Ackim

R.J. Ackim New Member

Hi, I'm RJ. I'm a high school senior. I've never had a RC controlled plane or copter before, but I'd like to become a commercial or military drone pilot when I finish school. An Air Force recruiter told me that the Air Force is having a hard time training drone pilots to keep up with the demand from the Air Force, Coast Guard, Border Patrol, etc. I've got decent grades and good test scores so I'm hopeful.

Alex likes this.
  11. fredstev

fredstev New Member

And just to bring some diversity to this forum, I'm a retired GM patternmaker and am fascinated with the potential for aerial photography with quadcopters. The Hubsan Quads X4L that I ordered from Banggood.com arrived yesterday, and I've been learning to fly it in the dining room. Geez, these things are a hoot! Keep 'em out of the ceiling fan and the potted plants, though. :eek:

12. Alex

Alex New Member

Hi my name is Alex and I'm 19. I'm a soldier in the United States Army and I am very new to the civilian drone world. my AR drone has been my first RC and I am beating myself for not getting into this sooner! Also 5 stars to this website and it's members for making this hobby that much easier and fun!

13. Akcobra

Akcobra Member

Liam,

A couple of things here. First, did you buy your radio from Witespy? If so then he would have set up failsafe/RTH for you if your equipment was capable of it.

Right now you have two pieces of gear that may not support it. The low end Spektrum receivers do not support failsafe, and I think that is the included standard receiver that comes with Paul's quads. Secondly, I'm not sure if the MultiWii FC supports it. I THINK the new 3.0 version does but I'm not sure. What I would do if I were you is do some research on the receiver you got with your quad and on the MultiWii 3.0 EZ FC and see if they support failsafe. I think there's a good chance you will find the FC does support it but the receiver does not. If that's the case I'd recommend a lemon RX as a good quality low-cost alternative to a spektrum which DOES support failsafe. Their best receiver is a 10 channel DSMX compatible Rx with a satellite that supports failsafe for $25.

Lastly, here's a good link that explains how to set up failsafe. This is for a Naza and an AR8000 Spektrum receiver but a lot of the concepts are probably similar for any FC and receiver. I just followed this to set up the failsafe on my Naza after I had to re-bind and it worked perfectly. Good luck!

http://www.xflysystems.com/blogs/news/7000392-setting-up-your-spektrum-dx7s-ar8000-failsafe-for-dji-naza

14. Desade

Desade New Member

Hi I'm Mark and I'm brand new to quadcopters. I've been interested for a while, but where I lived wasn't conducive to flying lawnmowers. But I've since moved to a big property where I can lose a little control now and then without having to knock apologetically on anyone's doors. I found this site through various wanderings starting with a Google search for "best beginning quadcopter", I think. I now have my Syma X1 (thank you for that excellent suggestion), and I've flown it several times both indoors and out in the couple of days since UPS dropped it off. I love how durable this thing is! I've had many, many hard crashes, tree maroonments, and ceiling smashes, and only this evening when I managed to get it stuck behind the woodstove did it finally sustain any damage: a bent prop, which I was able to bend back. Any suggestions for getting grass stains off the white props? :rolleyes:

I'm a professional C++ programmer, and I'm getting more and more into electronics lately. Ultimately I want to design my own bird and do some custom programming on it. I see micros as a good test platform for that sort of thing, because everything is smaller and cheaper, and small tests can be run indoors where the programming stations are. But I recognize that heading down the autonomous road without first being a good pilot is a recipe for loss and property damage... so here I am in flight school.

I'm looking forward to swapping successes and failures with other beginners, and getting some help from the more experienced folks as well. Everyone can grow faster when they do it together, I think.

15. drontastic

drontastic New Member

Hello guys! I'm new here.. but great to be joining this community!!

I love how drones are now widely available to the average joe. I've always dreamt about being a commercial pilot, but never had the opportunity too. Absolutely love the skies, but the best I could muster is watch from the passenger seat in Economy Class.

Now with camera mounts on advanced drones, I can finally get my hands on a "bird" on my own. Really excited, and enthusiastic about it. Hoping to watch more videos posted by you guys, and sharing more of my own in future.

It's great to be here! :)

16. jbrumberg

jbrumberg Member

Welcome to the new members. After +2 years experience with RC aircraft I still consider myself to be a noob too. There is and will always be something new to learn about flying these contraptions and with the exponential growth of the technology driving this hobby there will always be new products available as well so there will be, at least for me, a need for constant research to keep abreast of developments within our hobby.

Of vital concern for all of us is safe flying. Learn good flying habits now. We as a hobby and the industries supporting our hobby are facing the threat of increased regulation due to the irresponsible actions of a small percentage of fellow hobbyists. I do not like what is happening, but sadly as I look at what is happening or has happened in other countries we too in the USA will be facing further restrictions on where and how we fly our aircraft. I belong to the AMA, one does not need to; but the AMA's guidelines are a pretty decent set of guidelines to follow.

Good luck and have fun with your RC aircraft.

Fly often, fly safely, and fly responsibly-

JB

17. drontastic

drontastic New Member

With the latest incident of the close shave miss with the drone, i doubt new harsh ruling will relent anytime soon :(

18. jbrumberg

jbrumberg Member

The problems created by irresponsible owner/operators have been, are, and will continue to be the driving force behind this pending regulation driven by the fear mongering sensationalizing news media from across the political spectrum for increased ratings and used by politicians of all parties for their own personal gain IMO. The general public is misinformed and responsible hobbyists are currently relatively powerless. My fingers are cramped and my brain is fried from all my postings over at RCG where the debate has been, is, and continues to raging/rage regarding owner/operator "rights" and the pending regulation of our hobby. I personally do not want to start a "food fight" here at drone flyers. There are many issues and agendas involved, and there are really no easy solutions. These are my feelings. I will fight this fight at RCG. I will not fight this fight at drone flyers.

JB

19. Hi All! My name is Rob and I am new to the world of multi-copters but very excited to jump in full throttle! I work with a group of guys and we're calling ourselves Harmony Drones. We share passion for flying, aerial photography,

20. jbrumberg

jbrumberg Member

Welcome Rob.

Nice setup. :)