Help, Need advise for novice camera drone

Discussion in 'Misc. Quadcopter & Multirotor discussions' started by DCrane, Feb 3, 2014.

1. DCrane

DCrane New Member

Hi all, I am 100% clueless about drones/copters/RC stuff... Im a Realtor that must buy a product that can take quality arial photo's of homes. Id like to be able to see what the camera is looking at (while im safe on the ground of course LOL), id like something easy to fly and "idiot proof" as it can be, id like less expensive.

Im here before I do ANYTHING... because the one thing im smart enough about is knowing their are other in the world who know all this far more than me who i can ask advise, options, things to concider, etc...

I would be very thankful for this forums input... TY

2. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

Well, let's assume you aren't in a hurry!
    You should first buy a cheapo copter - if you really want one with a cam on it (just for fun, poor quality), get a WL Toys v222, but otherwise consider a Hubsan Quads X4 or a Syma X1.

The purpose of this quadcopter is just to get a couple hours of flight time so you start knowing what is involved. Oh, and please - download or buy the paper copy of the book I wrote....it will save you a lot of time and money!
    (Search Amazon for quadcopter book).....

All machines are a compromise! But, as a quickie, I'd say the DJI Phantom Vision would do a great job for basic real estate photography. It's about $1200 and includes a high res camera which can take good stills and/or video. BUT, video post-production is a difficult task, so I think you are better with still pictures for most realty shots.
    Here is an article about the 4 DJI Phantom Models
    https://www.droneflyers.com/2014/01/dji-phantom-models-differences-hobbyists-guide/

Keep in mind that these are not "point and shoot" devices - there is a fair amount of technology and a small learning curve, even with the Phantom. It helps if you have some idea of the basics of photography, framing of pictures, editing them afterwards, etc.

I take some fun shots of my block - one is enclosed (click to enlarge)...this was an $80 camera on either a stock Phantom($480 or so) or on a $100 WL Toys v262. But I can't frame the picture (no FPV, etc.) - I just set it to take a pic every 2 seconds and then fly where I think it's right...then find the good ones.
    neighbor.jpg

3. DCrane

DCrane New Member

Thanks Bunches for taking the time to help me learn... your correct that i dont need video but rather quality "stills". I was hoping its possible to be able to view the photo im about to take at ground level and then push a button or whatever to snap the shot (Is this what you mean when you say "Framing" the shot???), does the Phantom have the ability to "Frame" a "still" like that???

PS... that photo you show is PERFECT! I just need to be able to do that without flying around for an hour snapping pics every 2 seconds LOL.

4. IceFyre13th

IceFyre13th Guest

I am going to be Devils Advocate, yet again....

As a realtor, your use to take photographs of property for your business will by definition be for "Commercial Use", currently UAS's for hobbyists cannot be used for this purpose.

Look around on this site for more information on this..........but do not let the current information discourage you from doing this. Just be mindful that it may / could be an issue depending upon your local areas laws, etc.....

Hopefully soon we will have clear information on the use of UAS's for this type of work and not have to be cautious too much longer

5. webman

6. webman

Updating this thread with the Federal Judge throwing out the case about not being allowed to use a drone commercially......I've read many legal opinions on this stuff, and not much seems to go in the favor of the FAA - unless and until they truly go through the process and set the rules. It's all their airspace, but until they put in in specifics, they can't just tell folks what to do (according to the judge, anyway!).
    http://motherboard.vice.com/read/commercial-drones-are-completely-legal-a-federal-judge-ruled