Which Cheerson CX20 to Buy?

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by maxheadspace, Aug 10, 2014.

1. maxheadspace

maxheadspace New Member

Looking to buy a Cheerson CX20 quadcopter with GPS/autopilot, gimbal control (aux 0/aux 1), and FPV capable. There are several CX20 versions on the market, but only one which is compatible with APM that works with Arducopter/Mission Planner. In looking at the ads, I can't make heads or tails as to whether they are the compatible model. Someone mentioned in a blog that "Ver 2" was the compatible version, but none of the ads say "Ver 2". Anyone own one or can give help? Many thanks!

Max

2. huntandfish

huntandfish New Member

Hi I have a Quanum Nova hich appears to be a straight copy of the Cheerson CX20 and works with Mission Planner .
    Check out the Nova

3. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

It should be noted that these quads can deliver a lot for the $$ - BUT, based on reports from most users I have read, the technical ability to tune and perform various other tasks is needed to take advantage of many of the features.

APM, in itself, is quite highly technical.
    My guess is that these birds have zero tech support other than the other users...

I may buy one myself just to see whether a "normal guy" (although I think I am in the upper 20% or folks as far as tech basics....) can make them work well. I don't mind fussing and learning a little, but spending many hours looking at logs to see what went wrong when it fell out of the sky is not my bag.

But I do understand the draw!
    I second the idea of the HK Nova - I think it says right there on the page what the APM is, and you could surely get more exacting info from another user on their comment section or maybe even from them.

4. huntandfish

huntandfish New Member

True tech support from the vendor is limited BUT there is lots of info on the net about APM and plenty of people will help

5. maxheadspace

maxheadspace New Member

Thanks for the reply. I have indeed been looking at the Quanum Nova, and their literature does say it is waypoint capable. The other feature I want is plug-n-play gimbal. Again, with the CX20 there were some models that had auxiliary jacks on the underside where a gimbal would plug in and function appropriately, but other versions where the gimbal had to be wired into the controllers inside (with some modifications to the wiring). Can you tell me if the Quanum Nova model has the auxiliary jacks on the bottom to allow plug-n-play gimbal mounting?

Thanks again!

Max

6. huntandfish

huntandfish New Member

7. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

According to description:
    "Aerial video is where it's at and the Nova is just the model for it. The Nova is directly compatible with our Quanum Q-2D brushless GoPro gimbal, providing direct fit mounting. Simply bolt-on the Q-2D and connect it to the integrated gimbal control plugs on the bottom of the Nova. The on-board connections provide power, tilt and roll functions for the Q-2D gimbal. There is also a very convenient mini USB connection for connecting the Nova to your PC."

8. Troyboy

Troyboy New Member

9. monstertails

monstertails New Member

I have the cx20 open source version and it interacts very nicely with mission planner