Hints and Tips Discussion Walkera QR X350 Pro vs Dji phantom 1

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by gcouler, May 7, 2015.

1. gcouler

gcouler New Member

Hi, Im thinking of buying a drone to use with my GoPro Hero 3. I have looked at both of these and im wondering what are the pros and cons of each. I know the phantom is cheaper but comes with no gimbal I could then buy one to attach onto it which would then bring it up to roughly the same price as the Walkera.
    So do I go for the Walkera or the the Phantom with maybe the same gimbal as on the Walkera? PLEASE HELP!! Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  2. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

How much is the Walkera going to cost with a decent gimbal and FPV and some kind of OSD (on screen display) or telemetry?

I can't see how you can put together a gimbal and decent cam system with FPV and basic telemetry for less than $800-$1000+......given that type of price you should look at the Phantom 3.

IMHO, you either stay really cheap (no gimbal - just still photos and shaky video) or you go all the way.
    The only exception may be if you can find a gently used P1 with the DJI gimbal (tuned and working) for an amazing price ($450 or less)....

gcouler likes this.
  3. gcouler

gcouler New Member

Hi thanks a lot for the reply!
    Sorry, I wasnt actually going to go for the FPV, just a standard gimbal. Was looking at g-2d walkera gimble that was included in the overall price of $769 with the drone. Is it worth buying the Phantom 1 and then maybe finding separte gimbal or just the walkera with gimbal do you reckon? cheers

4. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

I suspect the Walkera with the more powerful battery will suit gimbal use better - the Phantom is known to have a max of about 6-7 minutes with a gimbal.

However, I think up in that price range you would get so much more to save up a bit more and get a Phantom 2 advanced - for the extra money you get a much better camera, a much better gimbal, digital FPV (which itself would cost over $1,000) and much much more...

It seems a shame to spend almost $800 and still have to work hard to integrate and tune the systems....but it's your money!

For that amount I'd rather buy a Phantom 2 with the gimbal - about $800. At least you'd get a tuned system and a 3-axis gimbal....
    http://click.dji.com/1yk3KUe9WqxecgRb
    $859 with the GP3 gimbal.
    I have some 5% off coupons.....
    You may be able to find it for the same or less elsewhere.....or even a gently used one. Lots of people are selling P2 model to buy their P3.

gcouler likes this.
  5. gcouler

gcouler New Member

Sounds better I'll look into that. Thanks so much