UPAIR1 Antenna problem

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by .davis., Dec 14, 2016.

1. .davis.

.davis. New Member

Hi, I purchased this new drone UPAIR1 which is pretty neat. I enjoyed flying it around, and haven't had any problems. The only issue that I've had is that the video reception to my controller would cut out if it get anywhere near 60 or so feet. It would be really frustrating because I can't see where I'm going, or what the drone is doing. It could be a clear blue sky without a tree blocking my reception, and I would still have the same problem.

I did a little bit of research, and found someone who swapped out a transponder along with a few antennas, and gained a considerable amount of video feed distance on his drone. I decided to do the same. Except now I'm at a little bit of a predicament because it doesn't seem to work. So, I came here to reach out, and see if this forum can offer a little bit of guidance to this newbee who has now butchered his drone. I can't quite figure out what I'm doing wrong. This is the transmitter that I purchased.
    [​IMG] I ended up re-soldering everything back to the way it was originally which seems to give the transponder power, but the transponder gets really hot (I don't know if it's supposed to do that or not) to the point where I feel that it will melt the plastic wrapping. The original one gets hot, but I don't feel that it gets that hot. It's almost if there is a short somewhere, but there isn't anything to short. There are 3 wires that I've messed with, and they aren't touching. Also, switching between channels doesn't really transmit any signal on this transponder, but it still works on the old one.

I don't know if anyone is familiar with this version of UpAir1, but now the remote is beeping non-stop which is driving me mad. I can't figure out how to stop it. At first I thought it was just the signal that was lost and the remote is telling me about it, but once I reconnected it all to the way it was, it's still doing the beeping.

2. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

3. ryanolivas

ryanolivas New Member

4. Steve Jones

Steve Jones New Member

several suggestions:
    1: Your new transmitter can select all bands and channels to trasmit video. but the receiver does not necessarily step thur them all.
    2: The new transmitter overheated due to the plastic, which is to protect it during shipping, cut it off. the housing around it is cast aliminum. if you install it wiht the big ceramic part facing the aluminum shield use some thermal grease.
    3: You may have the wrong band which makes channel searching fail. once you have the new transmitter installed, turn evertying on and then on the bottom side there is a small rubber protective plug you have to move aside to get to the video channel selector. hold it down for a second or two and the internal LED should ight up showing it synched.