Understanding Headless and "One key Return" operation on JJRC H8C

Discussion in 'Misc. Quadcopter & Multirotor discussions' started by skywagon, Nov 5, 2015.

1. skywagon

skywagon New Member

The "manual" that comes with the H8C leaves much to be desired for understanding some flight details.
    Being a "Newbie" to quad flying, I have much to learn.
    The H8C states that it can perform "one key return" and "headless" modes. The details are confusing or not there concerning how these work.
    I would appreciate help in finding out these steps and details via this forum.
    Thanks for the guidance and hints, pitfalls, etc.

2. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

The idea of headless mode is to bring it back toward you if far away - no matter what direction it is facing.
    I'm not sure exactly what button you need to press but you can probably figure that out.

Here is a basic video of headless and return to home. These are not very precise as with GPS quadcopters. They usually work using a built-in compass in the quadcopter.

3. skywagon

skywagon New Member

Thanks Webman. . . .
    I watched this video & picked up general info. . .
    For "one key return", at the initial start, it was not clear if the quad's"nose" is pointed at the far target or at the pilot.?
    It was not clear as to how one stops one key return. Does moving "any" stick stop the return action.

4. webman

I can't answer accurately - yet! I just unpacked a Syma X8C which has a similar feature and will be messing with it.

Frankly, I probably would never use this particular feature anyway on a non-GPS quad. I did use it once on my Phantom 1. It's called "Home Lock" on that model and basically it allows the quad to work using the sticks as if the quad is perfectly facing away from you - no matter which way it IS facing.

So, if the quad was far away and you lose orientation you switch into Home Lock and pull back on the sticks and it will come back toward you no matter how it was facing.

The Syma has some instructions in the manual - I think it makes a series of beeps to let you know you've entered and exited that mode.

Sorry I can't help more but I never used headless on the toy models - just on the Phantom.

5. webman