Syma X5C WiFi antenna and battery

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by Magniko, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Magniko

Magniko New Member

Hi

I am quite new to this drone hobby, but I have flown my X5C for quite a while now

Range is a problem for me though. It can barely get longer than 30m away, though at rare instances, it can go up to maybe 50m but with unstable signal

I read up on the possibility to solder a pigtail and a 2.4GHz antenna to the transmitter to gain more range

However, from reading up on what ranges people get after doing this, the results differ alot

Some barely get 100m more, while others can get up to 300m.

I for one really want to get the optimum range, which might be around 200m-300m as the drone will be invisible for the naked eye further away

So my question is, what is the optimal WiFi antenna for this? I have absolutely zero knowledge on how transmission work, but I know higher DbI gives stronger signal, though it's highly directional

Also, a second question is: what kind of additional batteries should I buy? I know that the higher the milliAmpere-Hour it is, the longer the flight time can be. But I also know that if the mAh is too high, it will put excessive amount of strain on the engines, shortening their lifetime by alot

So what would be the optimal batteries to opt for?

Besides, are these batteries(800mAh) good enough? http://www.Banggood.com/4Pcs-3_7V-800MAH-25C-Battery-And-Charger-For-Syma-X5C-1-X5SC-X5SW-M68-CX30-U816A-U818A-WLtoys-V929-p-1008693.html

Or should I go for something lower than that?

2. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

Seems like they should work.
    That's what I've done in the past and there is less chance of screwing something up. Add enough wire to get ~62mm total length.

3. Chris Rose

Chris Rose New Member

Can I just check that - are you saying that all you need to do is creat a pigtail inside the transmitter and inside the quadcopter - that is as close to 62mm as you can ? I am assuming that length is a multiple of the 2.4GHz wavelength ? My TX range on a local soccer field is about 20 yards before I lose connectivity - I tested it by getting my mate to walk away holding the drone as hig as possible while I turned the video camera on and off and he monitered the red/green light inside the drone. at 20 yards away I could no longer turn the camera on and off ?????

Kindest regards

Chris (Doncaster UK)

4. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

There is something drastically wrong then.

Open up the TX and inspect the antenna.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  5. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

I just saw this:

TX low/high power mode toggle: Hold right stick vertical trim up, turn TX power on, bind.

The TX high-low power mode is a sneaky one. Make SURE yours is in high power mode. If the heli icon on your LED is flashing, it's in low. Range is greatly reduced. On high mode the heli icon is steady. In some cases a Syma transmitter will ship with it set in low power mode.