Staaker, fully autonomous filming drone.

Discussion in 'New Products, News, Advancements, etc.' started by Good morning Staaker, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Hi, what do you think of the Staaker drone? Check it out on www.staaker.com
    It can follow you up to 80km/h only by pressing the "GO" button. 16251916_1323881654345858_5881151318997981314_o.jpg

2. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

It sure looks nice - I guess the real question is whether the market is big enough for the sports drones (AirDog, Hexo, etc.)....

The drone market has gotten tougher and tougher to get into. I knew someone who worked at Hexo+ - I think they are pretty much done for.

I wish you good luck tho. It takes a lot of ambition and work to bring a product like this to market.

3. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray New Member

Hi I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience or heard of reviews on the staaker? It's now dropped to $999 and I heard that it's gotten a recent firmware update that's supposed to be significant.

I'm interested in getting one for mountain biking, as my DJI Spark is a poor setup for my application. But there's still not much info from actual owners and users I can dig up on the staaker.

4. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

It's interesting how little press and discussion this drone has had. It looks somewhat like an improved "Airdog" which is also a sports drone. None of the former models sold well (Hexo+, etc).

I'd make these comments - anything that flies a GoPro has to be heavy in weight - and larger than most current camera drones.

As far as the capabilities, you should carefully study the specs and manual and perhaps dig around the net for some discussions. Drones are not magic. Unless a model has true avoidance sensing on ALL sides, it is going to hit a tree, cliff or the ground. That's basic common sense.

To build such a model is currently expensive. Take a look at the first one that truly may be able to avoid just about anything - $2500.
    https://www.skydio.com/product/

No DJI or other model has that type of OA (Obstacle Avoidance) built in. But you can be fairly certain DJI has them in the R&D dept and that when they hit the market they will cost 1/2 or less of what the Skydio does.

In summary, I'd say to look up the OA system and if it doesn't have 360 degrees in all directions it can't really perform...the exception are some models which might work in completely open country without many obstacles.

5. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray New Member

Thanks for the reply. Yea I've only been able to find YouTube reviews from vloggers and reviews that are posted directly onto the Staaker website itself. Both of which aren't solid sources to push me over the edge yet.

Yea the lack of sensors suck, but I'm wondering at this point if its benefits outweigh its consequences. I got into droning to record footage of my friends and I mountain biking, but so far have only been able to shoot my friends, all while interrupting the flow of our activities.

I definitely wouldn't use the staaker with any trees around. Their advertisement footage is only of wide open spaces.

I don't think the weight and size of the staaker would be an issue for me. I currently bike with the DJI Spark + 3 batteries + controller in it's case within my backpack along with a GoPro, that should equal the staaker's weight.

The more I think about it, the closer I am to pulling the trigger. Just don't feel comfortable without user reviews. Sigh, conflicted.

6. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray New Member

I requested to be added into the Staaker Owners Facebook page and was recently accepted. It looks like all the members that have posted seem to like the drone. No negative comments so far. That's a good sign.