Phantom 3 Pro or Yuneec Q500 4K?

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by Syed, Mar 11, 2016.

?

DJI Phantom 3 Pro or Yuneec Q500 4k

1. Phantom 3 Pro

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Yuneec Q500 4K

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Syed

Syed New Member

I am new to drones and my only experience is flying around one of the $30 mini drones in and around the house. I am pretty comfortable with handling such drone and can manouever around with ease.

I want to upgrade directly to a bigger 4K drone and now am stuck between DJI Phantom 3 and Yuneec Q500 4K.

Need help from the experienced fellows here for suggestion which drone to buy based on the follow factors

1) Ease of flying
    2) Quality of camera (4K/1080)
    3) Delicacy
    4) Availability of spares
    5) Customer support
    6) Anything else

Thanks.

2. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

Both are good machines.
    Most of the differences are fairly well known.

Keeping it short.

P3 - more capable (range), better FPV (choice of tablets), smaller (travel), slightly better image quality and better camera control, "Deeper" app.
    Q - simpler, all inclusive, larger (easier to see in the sky), removable camera/gimbal.

That's an executive summary. To get the most out of a P3 you have to spend time with the app and machine to know all the possible settings - as well as you have to make a decision about what monitor to use, etc - for your trouble you get more out of it.

But if you are a weekend warrior and just want to fly and take some video and pics - the Q is easier to get up to speed on.

3. Syed

Syed New Member

Thanks

4. Jimmy Blade Chroma

Jimmy Blade Chroma New Member

Here we go again. It seems that the DJI Phantom is grabbing all the attention. The Yuneec Q 500 is just as good quad as a Phantom. Look at different youtube videos that display what the Q500 has done and then the Phantom 3 has done. Then compare the results. It seems the author of the above post makes statements that are just a biased opinion. And, what monitor is he referring to? What has that to do with the price of beans?

Jimmy Proud Blade Chroma

5. webman

Really - if you like your machine, fine. No need to prove how good it is.
    You and many others may not need to fly in heavier winds, to do waypoints, to have lots of other automated shots, etc.
    The Q500 4K can be a fine bird if you accept those limitations.

In the end the actual person behind the camera and the scenery makes the picture or video...

BTW, I was out flying today with my P3 - no way in hell I would be able to do what I do without the mapping system (having maps, flight paths, direction, full telemetry, etc. displayed on my ipad) - because I tend to quickly lose sight of the machine even when it is close by.

Folks should buy whatever machine they want. But actual technical facts:
    Dual GPS on the Pro - single on the Q
    20+ MPH wind resistance on P - Q owners report trouble after about 12 MPH
    Mapping, SDK, waypoints, etc.
    Much further range
    More camera and app adjustments

Many people don't care that much - can't even tell the diff between a better or worse camera. But there is a reason that DJI outsells Yuneec 10 to 1. If Yuneec made stuff just as good or better, they'd sell more of it.

So, no, this are not "biased opinions". They are specifications. Facts. Just as with cars - we can measure 0-60, we can measure MPG and cabin noise.

Actually, right now the drone that is going up against the Phantom is the Autel X-Star (Phantom Clone). It's $559 on Amazon today (Prime Day).

Oh, the OP asked about "delicacy".....no doubt the Q breaks more easily when it falls or crashes. This is well known and fairly evident if you look at the way they are made vs. the Phantom.

But, again, if you just want something easy to fly and want the built-in tablet, etc - the Q500 will do fine.

6. Jimmy Blade Chroma

Jimmy Blade Chroma New Member

So, why don't you contact Yuneec and tell the company it is being outsold 10 to 1? And, while you have their attention, tell the rep. that the bodies of the Q500 are inferior made. Have you analyzed the plastic composition of each model? Well known by whom?
    Jimmy Blade Chroma

7. webman

Sounds like you are cruising for a bruisin. If you really want facts you can find them.
    For example, here is a screenshot of the camera barrel distortion on some top drones.
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=35245237&postcount=4394

BTW, there is a pro on that thread, BurntPixel, who bought an H and just returned it....for MANY reasons, everything from camera quality to build quality to GPS loss. Lots of similar folks over on the Yuneec forums.

Now - you may not believe in science, mechanics, optics and such things - and that is fine. In that case just be a less informed consumer and enjoy yourself. But trying to tell people who have decent eyesight and knowledge - that they don't have facts - that one isn't gonna float.

We don't have to agree but you have to stop pimping and challenging basic reality - at least here you do. Thanks..

8. Wgreen

Wgreen New Member

I read on another forum that a few dealers in Asia, Hong Kong to be exact has stop selling the Typhoon H due to the poor quality and the lack of spare parts. I wonder if it include other Yuneec products like the Q500 or just the Typhoon H?