MJX Bugs 2W Questions

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by BrendenMJX, Feb 8, 2018.

1. BrendenMJX

BrendenMJX New Member

Hi everyone. This is my very first drone and very first post. Now I have ordered the drone and it will be here in a few days. I have been doing a ton of research and watching videos. I got this one because it seems to be the best price for a GPS/FPV drone for under $200. I have watched many videos and am very impressed with it. Especially its return to home fail safe's it has for a newbie like me.

I also got it because it has a very long distance(1km) and good distance for the FPV. Now I know me very well and when I get addicted to something which I know with this I will. I know that the battery it comes with will last 15 minutes and for me that will be the blink of an eye before having to charge again for a few hours before being able to enjoy it again. Because of that I have already ordered an extra battery. This though leads me to my question.

I am sure it varies by different drones and such but how long would it be safe to run a drone like this without risking burning up the motors or internals. I am wondering would it be fine for 30 minutes/45 minutes/60 minutes? I am trying to figure out how long I can safely run this drone therefore to help me figure out how many batteries I should get. Thanks everyone

2. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

That's an interesting question. Note although the motors are brushless they are plastic, including the prop shaft, so be very careful when installing your props. The prop mounting shaft is also rather proprietary, so you need to get special props. I have no idea why they didn't use the all metal motors from the Bugs 3. Running 3 packs in row should be no problem, just feel the motors for any excessive, heat.

The proprietary nature of the battery sled makes charging multiples difficult with hobby charger. One of these may be useful.
    https://goo.gl/aq1BDm

These might be a nice add on if you fly in tall grass.
    https://goo.gl/Q8tywQ

3. BrendenMJX

BrendenMJX New Member

Wow thanks @RGJameson for your great advice. I like the idea of having the landing props as to protect the drone especially the blades. I will do like you say and feel the motors after each run to make sure they are not running to hot. I asked this question on the bugs product on Amazon and a couple people came back stating they run theirs for 30-45 minutes even an hour with no issue. I will be getting that battery charger and the landing props so thank you very much for the info and the links.

4. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

Seems I goofed. The B2W does have metal motors, the B2C has the plastic... weird.

5. BrendenMJX

BrendenMJX New Member

Yup I was going to say something as looking at them I could of swore they were metal. So far it has been holding up great and have been getting a ton of flying time with them now that I have 8 batteries.

6. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

I guess you are set. Here's another alternative for Bugs users.

Name brand 30C with 400 more Mah. They actually weigh about ~15 grams less than the sledded stock one.
    http://ebay.to/2HxZGUi

With one of these these.
    http://ebay.to/2oeDYfX

They slide in a bit loosely, they just a little shim/tape wrap etc. to hold them securely. At about $15 each and with longer flights what's not to like.

BrendenMJX likes this.
  7. BrendenMJX

BrendenMJX New Member

Good stuff thank you for the links. Actually as far as fitting the batteries in there what you do is get a b2c battery case, take off all but the back. The back then holds in the batteries with no issues. Then you can put any of these kinds of batteries in without worrying about having to tape it, etc. Saw a youtube video on someone doing just that and looks pretty sweet. Thanks for the links.

8. BrendenMJX

BrendenMJX New Member

So with what I said above not only are you shaving off weight removing most of a battery case but also the lighter battery as well. Wonder how much flight time I could get with one of the batteries @RGJameson linked. My thinking is around 20 minutes since the stock gives you 15. Will have to give this a shot.

9. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

I've also got a few of these, 200 more mAh and cheaper yet, they weigh ~100 grams. 2 for less than the cost of 1 stock one.
    http://ebay.to/2onv5jh

Just waiting for the weather to break so I can try them.

BrendenMJX likes this.
  10. BrendenMJX

BrendenMJX New Member

Cool let me know the results how much flight time you get with them. Very interested.

11. BrendenMJX

BrendenMJX New Member

Well today I ran the Bugs for over an hour and used 6 batteries and the motors were not hot at all. This is very good news. I also went to remote area on a hill/mountain to test out distance with the Bugs. I must say I am nothing short of impressed. I was able to go past the 999 M as it kept going even though the 999 was pegged. I also got it up to 100M high and 700M distance with wifi. That is crazy as I never expected to get past 500Meters wifi. I am really loving this MJX Bugs 2. This weekend I may try to take it up near the Lake Tahoe mountains to get some really good footage. Will update this with some photos shortly.

12. BrendenMJX

BrendenMJX New Member

Just a few shots. Now keep in mind I did not have my onboard micro SD Card in the drone so these pics were from the WiFi to my phone. Not bad.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RGJameson likes this.
  13. Waveraider

Waveraider New Member

Hello Brenden. Where did you order your drone from? I'm tinking about a Bugs2, but most of them I see are in the $240+ price range.

14. BrendenMJX

BrendenMJX New Member

From Banggood. Yeah thats the going price for them. I got on sale for much cheaper than that but the sale ended on the 21st. Still though for $240 it in my mind is very much worth it. Had I not known about the sale I still would of picked up for that price. From what I have gathered it is the best sub $300 drone.

For me what makes it really stand above the rest is the distance is just insane with it. I have taken it well past the 999 meter mark. Also I have gotten 700 meters with WiFi FPV. Also the brushless motors ensures much less maintenance or having to swap out motors. Also the flight time is a good 15-17 minutes with it. I have 8 batteries so the 3-4 hour battery charge time is of little drawback for me but for some they may not like that.

15. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

If I was to buy something (I won my Bugs 2 in a contest) I'd get this, with the standard version controller @ $206.
    http://bit.ly/2oxYDLq

Much more advanced GPS functions, more options all around and better video quality.

16. BrendenMJX

BrendenMJX New Member

And the fact that it is on sale now makes it cheaper than the Bugs 2. I was deciding between the Hubsan Quads and the Bugs 2 and at the time the Bugs 2 was cheaper so went with that.

17. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

18. BrendenMJX

BrendenMJX New Member

Very good find. Have you tested out any of your aftermarket batteries yet to see max flight time you get?

19. Waveraider

Waveraider New Member

I was looking a the spec's on the Hubsan Quads, and the Bugs 2 looks like it has twice the flight distance as the Hubsan Quads. Just playing devils advocate, but the Hubsan Quads is really that much better than the Bugs 2?

20. BrendenMJX

BrendenMJX New Member

There are a few youtube comparison videos out there. But I for sure am more than happy with the Bugs 2(never had a Hubsan Quads). I have even gotten it further than 999 meters and also have gotten 700 meters with WiFi FPV. I highly doubt the Hubsan Quads will get those numbers.