Introduce Yourself

Discussion in 'Misc. Quadcopter & Multirotor discussions' started by IceFyre13th, Mar 20, 2013.

1. RyanGSams

RyanGSams New Member

Hello, My name is Ryan. I live in Indiana. I got a cheap Syma x5sw quad last year. I have always been into drones but never really pursued into getting into it. I hope to learn a lot about the intricacies of drones and hope to build one.

2. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

Hi Ryan, Welcome to the forum.

3. idahosteve

idahosteve New Member

Hey there, I am really new to this quadcopter scene. I flew old gas balsa planes back in the day, and loved it. Now with age and technology I'm hoping to get into some specific styles of flying. I am looking for help and more info on the mini platforms that are being modified for more long range flying adventures. Its no surprise that the amazing FPV style videos are inspiring people to try this sport. I love the idea of flying up to the tops of peaks, and then diving the lines like skiing in winter!
    My aim is to use my location here in Idaho to fly some amazing terrain in both the mountains and desert. If you are into this kind of flying, please get in touch, as I would love to hear your thoughts and build experience.

4. Aerial Drone Shop

Aerial Drone Shop New Member

Someone emailed me about this drone but i haven't personally flown it - can you tell me what is one thing you love about it, and one thing that needs to be improved if you actually have used it?

DJI T600 Inspire 1 Quadcopter.jpg

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  5. Ged Fitzpatrick

Ged Fitzpatrick New Member

Hi everyone thank you for letting me join, can I just say right off the bat that I feel a bit of a fraud. All the intros I've read so far say that this is their hobby and they have been into RC for twenty years or more lol. My total time with RC has been about 2 years a long time ago, but the quad copter scene has lit a fuse inside me . the reason I'm hear is quite simple I need to use a drone to earn a living. My work history has been manual labour or driving big class1 hgv's, unfortunately now, my spine is absolutely knackered.i am now only 51 and I'm disabled I cannot walk more than about 10meters without being in pain and I cannot stand up for longer than about 6 or 7 minutes. I have worked all my life but now find myself on the scrap heap of life I spend most of my time in the house living like a hermit. I need to a) earn a wage and b) have an interest. Physically I'm not up to much anymore. But mentally I've enough savi to know I can start again on a different career path. I'm coming on here to ask for help from pretty much every quarter. I know very little about drones ( actually I know quite a lot but I've no personal experience with them, I've read loads about the different formats and the latest hydrogen fuel cells to give flying times of three hours or more but , my personal contact with them is minimal). I have a million questions and I'm sure your all going to get fed up with me lol.i have the intention of passing my UAV licence ( I know it's not actually a licence, but caa approval to fly commercially). My first question is what drone would you start off with, I was thinking of a Phantom 4

6. SkyerUAS

SkyerUAS Member

Hi there Ged. If you're new to drones, and particularly to flying, my recommendation is to take it one step at a time, and enjoy the learning process. The Phantoms are very cabable machines, making it easy to fly and film, but it is still very important to get familiarized with aviation best practices and norms, and to practice in safe places away from obstacles and people, while you get used to controlling them and gain confidence.

Always keep safety first in mind whenever flying, be mindful of regulations, and respectful of others, since unfortunately the recklessness of a few have given a bad rep to this exciting technology.

Best of luck, and welcome to the addictive world of drones!
    Skyer

7. EricMeyer

EricMeyer New Member

I am a new member to this forum and I am probably coming from a rather different direction than many who participate here. I am a private pilot, but my major interest in this subject is as an engineer. I have been producing YouTube videos that focus on lasers and we have begun to expand this channel to cover a wider variety of subjects including multi rotors. In my latest video I begin a series of videos that discusses the design, construction and operation of large, custom, carbon fiber multi rotors. If anyone here is interested, you might take a look at this video and let me know what they think about it. There will be a lot more.

RGJameson likes this.
  8. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

Welcome to forum Eric.

9. Marcosa

Marcosa New Member

Hi Gang,

My name in Marcus, 28 from Devon (but living in London) and I am planning on getting into the world of drone flying.

A large contributor to my interest is an upcoming trip to Southeast Asia at the end of the year. Lots of research to be done but that's all part of the fun!

Looking forward to learning all there is to know!

Happy flying,

Marcus

10. Munna

Munna New Member

• This is Harish Kumar Sahai from Chantilly From Virginia. I am new to this forum. I am extremely new in the field of Drone flying. I have never flown drone before. Only experience I have with remote control toy is driving small remote control corvette car. Even that was difficult to control. I am still doing research about beginner's drone under 200 dollars. Is it true that larger the drone is more stable drone? Easier to fly larger drone? Should I go back and learn to fly RC plane and helicopter and then come to quadcopter flying? Dulles International Airport is just 10 miles from my home. I see low flying planes landing and taking off all the time. What I should be worried about?
    • What is your expert opinion Mr. RGJameson with due respect Sir!

11. mike aust5in

mike aust5in New Member

hi im a newbie I'd like to get a quad with a camera to check on cows that hide in the woods any suggestions?

12. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

No. Get a small inexpensive quadcopter to play with and practice the fundamentals.

This new one by Eachine @ $35 looks pretty good. The decent video is a plus.
    https://goo.gl/qKE2a8

Also has spare parts available, which is great. At least grab a few batteries to start.
    https://goo.gl/fMJXFw

Here's a guy flying it, you can go back to Part 1 of his review for all the details. With the various rates it can be docile to learn and higher rates for more sporty flying.

13. lunicy

lunicy New Member

I'm Dave from NJ...
    Am looking to buy a real drone soon (have a few cheap ones now) Have been in RC cars since the late 80's

14. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

Welcome.
    I think you can get an idea of the value in current "real" drones in this article:
    https://www.droneflyers.com/fall-2016-camera-drone-slugfest-karma-vs-mavic-vs-phantom-3-4-vs-yuneec/

Sure, some others have come out recently - the Phantom Pro series (better cam) and the Spark (just came out). We have extensive coverage of all of those on here (full reviews, links to videos, etc.)...

So use your head - do some study and decide how you will use it and what is most important to you. Also, check your wallet.

I'd say at this point the Mavic Pro is the best compromise of all if you have the money. If you are a prosumer photographer, the Phantom 4 Pro has the best sensor and more settings. If you are bargain hunting, refurb Phantom 3 Pro's are a GREAT deal. Or a used or refurb P4.

See the top listing at http://www.dronesavings.com for the P4 listed (may or may not be expired) at $699....heck of a price.

But if portability is really important - the Mavic Pro is King....or the new Spark, but you'll have to wait a month or two for a Spark.

15. MrCharlie

MrCharlie New Member

Hey, name is Charlie, residing in St.Charles Illinois. Was into Gas powered RC cars about 15 years ago. I purchased a E-Glide Power Board at the age af 55, so I'm still able to get around! I love new Tech toys and buy what I can afford. My latest purchase was the DJI Mavic Pro Combo, I can't say enough positive things about this product! My boys were so impressed with the DJI Line that they to bought the Mavic. I ordered the DJI Goggles back on May 4, 2017 and are due in today May 29, 2017........If the goggles are ANYTHING like the Mavic, then again I will be amazed. Will keep checking in and my main interests are aerial photography over local events, and posting on social media websites, people love to see themselves on drone aerial videos. Hit me up for any thoughts or suggestions to make my drone experience even better. Will be posting future videos on Big Wig Aerial Productions on YouTube

16. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

Welcome to the forum.

17. DeBeGiZ

DeBeGiZ New Member

Hi!

I found this forum searching on the web about drones (my recently discovered hobby), and I decided to give a try! It's always helpful to get tips and advices from people who really know what they are into ^^

18. redstarforever

redstarforever New Member

whats good ya all?

noob flier here from australia

;)

19. Michael A Jackson

Michael A Jackson New Member

Hey folks, Mike, inspire 2, part 107 :)

Attached Files:

20. Dualityshift

Dualityshift New Member

Hey all,

I've been into rc cars for 25 years. From the Big wig to the ClodBuster, Turbo Optima MidSE and finally an HPI Savage XL.

I moved to Hong Kong without my cars, and found drones to be more accessible.

I bought a Mavic pro and love it.

I bought a Parrot Bebop 2 second hand and it's a lot of fun. I might say more fun than the Mavic.

Anyway, that's me.