Can I fly my drone in my neighborhood?

Discussion in 'Misc. Quadcopter & Multirotor discussions' started by Phantom4, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Phantom4

Phantom4 New Member

I have a Phantom 4 drone and fly from my back yard sometimes. Is this OK? I'm flying high (250-375ft) and not over crowds of people or anything but over homes sometimes. I live in the suburbs where people have quarter acre lots so it's a populated area. I use the FAA B4UFLY app to make sure I am far enough away from airports and fly within line of sight at all times. I don't hover over one area but pretty much keep moving most of the time.

2. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

There are some issues here - for example, if your machine crashes or lands elsewhere, you may likely lose it.
    In general if you stay 150+ feet high most people will not think you are spying on them....but, then again, if you are flying over roads, yards and other places there is a danger that your drone will fall on a person or a vehicle.

Many people, myself included, do some flying over their own years - but I have an acre and back up to a 100 acres of woods and conservation land. While I may venture high over some neighbors houses, I am fairly certain they are not outside at the time and they also have an acre or more and are bounded by some open space.

In the end it won't be much fun flying over a bunch of 1/4 acre lots. You should use google maps to identify spots (school yards, parks, conservation land, etc.) where you can actually get some decent photos and videos. I try to go to these areas when almost no one is there and fly....get my pictures and go.

If you just want to fly for fun you might have more fun with some of the toy and FPV models. The Phantom 4 is built to be a flying camera.

3. Phantom4

Phantom4 New Member

When I fly from the back yard it is more for practice and convenience, not for the videos I might get. I'm asking if flying over neighborhoods is illegal or unethical. Am I breaking any rules? I know there is a small risk if my machine falls from the sky that it could hurt someone but I think the chances are very small. As far as losing it, I suppose that is possible but I'm flying within line of sight so I think I would have a good chance of recovering it anyway. Looking on the FAA website, it says to not fly over crowds of people but it does not say I can't fly it in the city. I think some of these issues still need to be worked out and only time will tell which way it goes.

I know it's a flying camera - that's why I got it! I'll be getting my UAS license in the next few months so I can use it for commercial purposes....

4. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

Much of this stuff is more in the category of recommendations and staying cool with your neighbors.
    Common sense - which it sounds like you are applying - is perhaps the most important thing here.

In theory, all of the airspace above your neighbors is mine and yours (taxpayers)....and under the control of the FAA.
    It's up to you to apply reason. IMHO, the issues are laid out above. But to repost...

1. Of course you need to check your proximity to airports. Even if you are relatively close, flying at a low level is usually OK.
    2. Over larger roads where the chances are that it would cause an accident - is a no-no IMHO. Your own cul-de-sac is probably another story.
    3. Peeping tom, disturbing the peace, etc. - again, my opinion (and agreed to by some others) is that 150 feet or so is a decent height to stay above ground in the area of 1 and 2 storey homes.
    4. LOS - of course.

So, with all that in mind, it's probably ok to do. I have always suggested that people don't practice in their backyards for a more important reason - that it's easier to lose your machine to a tree or other local obstacle. That being the case, the general advice is to get your hours in at a football field sized place or larger.

Hope that helps.

Rules are not always laws. Either are suggestions and recommendations.
    To be more clear, it is fully legal to fly above private property.
    The new rule is fairly clear.....here is the PDF summary:
    https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Part_107_Summary.pdf

5. Wgreen

Wgreen New Member

You are not breaking any laws by flying high over someone's house. You might piss a few people off. As for flying close to airports . Your app would let you know if you were approaching a no fly zone. Its best to fly in open areas. away from homes, cell phone towers and other things that could cause interference.

6. royster

royster New Member

I have a couple of acres & access to a 550 acre greenbelt just across the road from my home, but, if I fly from my house I do pass over 2 homes, Always get height in your yard so at least your bird is hardly noticeable when I pass over these 2 homes. But, the one neighbour always comes out & peers skyward. Rather than ignore them I asked if they wanted to see what the bird sees in flight. This turned into a 10 minute session joined by both neighbours, one of the wives said- Can you zoom in on us, I showed her & explained the camera is more for landscapes, sunsets & pausing on return they could see us as 4 little specs in my driveway.
    I think this little session put all the "spying on us poolside & looking through our windows rumors"(her words not mine) to rest.
    We have gone from the occasional wave from driveways to him & his son, flying a Syma X5C, coming with me on missions,
    I think sharing the Phantoms capabilities has really cleared the air in my neighbourhood.

7. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

I live in a congested urban area, have to drive a bit to find some space. That said I never fly over anyones house.