Review or Mini-Review Blade 350 QX Review

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by Akcobra, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Akcobra

Akcobra Member

I think you're pretty close, but one other factor you didn't mention that I think is very important, especially for new-to-mid level flyers, is that Blade's customer support blows DJI right out of the water. Seriously, this one isn't even close, if Blade is a 10 then from everything I hear DJI is a 2. Other than that you're pretty spot on. The Blade is better for speed, sport, and proximity FPV. The Phantom is better for stability, range, and AV/AP.

2. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

3. webman

Here is a link to the new fully equipped camera unit - with gimbal - it's getting decent reviews from users:
    http://amzn.to/1xPJOoQ
    Picture enclosed also.
    Screen Shot 2015-01-06 at 7.31.57 PM.png

4. RJake1

RJake1 New Member

I'm curious as to why you say the Phantom is better for "far distances.". Did you measure the signal range on each? Or are you basing the conclusion on battery life? Or some other factor(s)? Thanks.

5. webman

Depends on the model.....of both the blades and the phantoms. Horizon claims to have upgraded the receivers...and it may also depend on the particular TX's used.

The blade provides a much smaller "footprint" in the sky to my eyes...than even the P1 with prop guards. It's harder to see at distance, and because we have to fly LOS in the USA, that becomes important.

Some of the Blade's use the CGO1 camera (ilook), which (150 to 400 feet usually) has a much shorter range (no wifi repeater) than the Phantom Visions.

The blade is harder for the novice (IMHO) to switch into both ATTI and Home Lock once in air....which also favors the Phantom.

These reviews are opinions. Obviously a $1000 new 350QX3 is a nicer package than a $500 Phantom FC40, however most fliers who have flown both types opine a similar line - that is, the the blades are sportier and more fun, while the Phantoms are more purpose built for stability and AP.

These comparisons are pretty much an older point.....if we compare a new 350QX3 and a Phantom 2 Vision+, the specs are quite similar. The only difference at this point is that the newer blades haven't been tested by the 10's of thousands so we don't yet have enough data to see how the reliability compares.

The Yuneec typhoon - made by the same company that produces for Blade - has a larger footprint and profile...which may help with LOS operations. It also uses the same cam and gimbal.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  6. greasy frog

greasy frog New Member

I read this entire thread and just had a couple cents to add...
    I just bought the Blade QX3 and don't feel I am as happy as I would have been with the Q500 as far as the video quality goes. The Q500 is built specifically for videography/aerial photography while the blade was originally designed for stunt flying.
    Both come with the Yuneec 3 axis gimble and cgo2 camera (which is a phenominal set up) but the blade is much quicker on the controls. I havn't flown a Q500 and wasn't prepared to wait for it any longer (Yuneec has over a month of back orders and retailers are waiting).

DJI makes great products. But with their customer/tech support reviews, I am not prepared to spend $1200+ on a product that has cool features.
    Q500 has had great reviews but the wait seems to be getting longer. I admit I feel I settled on 2nd best with the blade when compared to the Q500, but I am more than happy with the QX3. However, fast flying and filming don't mix well unless having the rotors or landing gear make its way into your aerial imagery doesn't bother you.