advise on new drone.

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by airfrm, Apr 7, 2016.

1. airfrm

airfrm New Member

So I got the ethos HD. It is my first drone and I am hooked. I like it because it is fast and nimble, but the video sucks. I was looking at either the Chroma or the Phantom. They both seem like very similar platforms and I have seen the Chroma in action and like the way it performs. The question I have is for the go pro version. I read you need an electronic device like a phone to connect to the go pro, but what is the range on it. The camera mounted version seems to have a good range, but I would think when you connect your phone to the go pro, you would be very limited to the range of the Bluetooth unless it connects some other way. I was just thinking the go pro would be better for me because it is a little cheaper and I have a go pro that sits most of the time. Thanks for any help.

2. airfrm

airfrm New Member

my apologies, I put this in the wrong forum section.

3. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

This section is fine!
    Hmmm......I don't think the Chroma in any case is like the Phantom 3 or 4. It is closer to perhaps the Phantom 2 series with the option of the GoPro.

My advice is this. Forget about any GoPro drone. I could explain further, but that's the summary if what you want to do is to get stunning aerial pictures and videos. If money is an issue, buy the Phantom 3 Standard version for about $500. If you have a bit more to spend, get the P3 Advanced for about $750 (depending where you purchase it).

While the Chroma is OK, it just doesn't measure up in total technology and value to the Phantom 3 or 4 series. On the other hand it may be a bit simpler to use (it and it's cousin the Q500 Yuneec) due to having a built in screen and less complicated app.

4. airfrm

airfrm New Member

Thank you for the input. After reading up on both the chroma and the phantom, their not that far off on price. In fact the phantom 3 standard is less than the chroma. Maybe it's because the controller doesn't have a built in screen. Not a big deal with smart phones.

5. webman

6. airfrm

airfrm New Member

I have watched several videos about the standard. when they show videos of what the camera can see, it also has all of the flight data. Is that what is actually shown on the screen or is it something that is added for the video? Also the other options like waypoints, follow me etc, am I correct in assuming you do all of that with the phone as well?

7. webman

None of that data will show in your vids - it does show on your device.
    All the flight modes you mention are done in the Go App on your smart device.

8. airfrm

airfrm New Member

Ok great thank you for all the help. I think the phantom 3 standard is what I need. I really like the idea of using my phone for the screen instead of the remote especially for a replacement cost of around 100 for the phantom and over 500 for the chroma.

9. airfrm

airfrm New Member

Ok so I went to my local rc shop to look at the DJI and was told I should stay away from them because if they work on the quad at all, it voids the warranty. They said only DJI can work on their stuff. With that they showed me the Xiro Xploere V. Seems like a nice quad chocked full of features, some of which I have not seen if the phantom standard comes with. My homework just got harder.....

10. Prairie Pyro

Prairie Pyro Member

I got some the same advise but still ended up with a DJI. Seems to be great help via forums.(most have more intimate knowledge tha DJI support)Just got a Samsung Tab Pro 8,4 with some help to link up to my P3A. Super high res and the very fast processor gives great FPV. May try and use a screen capture app to record everything.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  11. webman

As Pyro says, the problem with the new brands or the off-brands is help, service, etc.
    Some of these companies have no US or other offices.

I think many people think too hard (I know I do) about the choice. If you want a camera/video model and the best value, DJI is still the go-to brand. This could change in a year or two...others may be worthy, but as of now this is the case IMHO.
    Many local shops may not like DJI because DJI sells direct, from Amazon and may be tough to deal with for them. So I wouldn't take their word for it.

BTW, my Phantom 3 Pro is now over a year old and running like a top. The software updates and 3rd party apps make it better than it was a year ago.

12. Prairie Pyro

Prairie Pyro Member

You can add Sams Club to the list of retailers. $469 for the standard. Was looking for more micro card memory and another coffee brewer.

13. airfrm

airfrm New Member

Ok so one option that I saw on the Xplorer was the option to follow someone without the controller. Is this an option on the Dji?