General Hint Phantom 3 Gimbal Guard - FREE!

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by webman, May 2, 2015.

1. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

Hey, P3 owners....

If you need a camera bottom guard here are some basic measurements - this one covers most of the bottom (safer), but you can make it smaller if you like. Use some corrugated sign board (4mm - you probably have some in the garage) or thin light plywood, etc.

Basic instructions.

Cut a blank 162 wide by 92 deep mm. If you are using corrugated plastic, run the corrugations in the long way - see pic.

Measuring from the rear, cut a small notch at 40mm and 72 mm - these fit into a rib in the landing gear.

on the rear left corner, cut out a 22mm by 7mm notch - that fits around the compass which is located there.

Cut a large rectangle out of the front which allows camera and gimbal travel. Basic dimensions shown.

NOTE - THESE MEASUREMENTS DO NOT INCLUDE the measurements for a CUT-OUT FOR THE NEW GROUND (CLOSE-IN) SENSORS ON THE P3. I HAVE NOT TESTED THESE ENOUGH TO KNOW HOW LARGE TO CUT THE AREA OUT FOR FULL FUNCTION - BUT I WILL UPDATE THIS THREAD WHEN I CHECK THAT OUT.

Up to 4mm in thickness will easily fit the landing gear. Poke or drill holes about 20 mm in from each notch to allow you to zip tie it to the skids.

See completed guard below. I find that this works better than one of the ones I bought (acrylic) - it saved my P2 once already.

If you are not handy let me know and I will make one for you cheap..... (email cissod (at) gmail dot com).

ggdrawing2.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2015