Introduce Yourself

Discussion in 'Misc. Quadcopter & Multirotor discussions' started by IceFyre13th, Mar 20, 2013.

1. dragonphotographic

dragonphotographic New Member

Thanks Webman.

The Mobius is already on my radar. I have done some expedition photography and extreme sports work over the years, so any interesting new device that shows up gets noticed. I even get to test the odd thing or two as well. I'm currently using a prototype Nokia mobile phone courtesy of Nokia themselves for testing and evaluation purposes. (Although they did go a bit quiet when I mentioned my plans for strapping it to a Quadcopter) Got to say it is without doubt the best non DSLR camera I've ever used.

My 'Buildbox' is about to grow a bit more. Just ordered a couple of Orange 615 controllers and some connectors and heat shrink tubing from HK thanks to the link on this site.

2. jbrumberg

jbrumberg Member

Newest member willing to introduce myself here at dronefliers. I decided to join after reading some reviews and seeing recent picture postings. My name is Jay. I am retired and live with my wife in a very secluded property in the "Hilltowns" of western MA. I got the RC bug last Christmas with coaxial helicopters, progressed to FP pitch helicopters (V911), and am trying to fly CP helicopters (V922). I discovered quadcopters through the "back door". I bought my quads as a learning tool and step up from FP helicopters to CP helicopters. I currently have a HK Micro Q-Bot (needing repairs; replacement on order) and a Syma X1 (beat up, lost canopy, flying; two on order). I am awaiting the delivery of a keychain camera (808 #16 V2 A lens) which I hope to pick up at the post office tomorrow. This "drone thing" has hit me hard.

webman likes this.
  3. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

Your wife will like the photos or something else eventually and she will be won over. Or, she will enjoy getting you out of her hair.

4. Jeremy Wadhams

Jeremy Wadhams New Member

Welcome Jay, and thanks for jumping right in helping us Noobs. I'll be interested to hear your exploits with the 808 cam and your small quads. My Syma can lift an 808, but it seems to really freak out the way the quad reacts to its gyros, no matter how close to center of balance I mount it.

5. Torgo 42

Torgo 42 New Member

Hello, my name is Rob and I am new again to the rc community. Was into rc cars and trucks back in the 90s, but I am fully drawn into the quad rotor community. I am just got my first Smya X1 a few months ago and have spent my share of time in the trees thanks to the wind. I am wanting to go farther with this hobby and get into the fpv flying, photog, and building my own. If anyone can help point me in the right direction (ebook, websites, other forums, etc), I would appreciate it. Also, can anyone tell me how to change my screen name, accidentally used wrong name.

6. jbrumberg

jbrumberg Member

Welcome Rob. rcgroups.com is a very active site for rc enthusiasts. There is an incredible amount of information available there. There is also a thread specifically for Syma X1 owners over there. BTW I still am missing my flying, smiling bumblebee somewhere in my property's perimeter trees. :rolleyes:

7. Jeremy Wadhams

Jeremy Wadhams New Member

8. jbrumberg

jbrumberg Member

Jeremy- Good Luck. Keep us posted on the quad build. I am very interested. I am still in the Syma X1 repair, replace, modify stage of my quadcopter development. My soldering skills are poor (at this point).

9. webman

Welcome!

I wrote a book which introduces a lot of the concepts and definitions. You can get it at Amazon as a ebook or in print. A lot of the book info is in separate articles at the blog on this site also.

http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Started-Quadcopters-Drones-ebook/dp/B00DBJQKD8/

As far as other forums, R/C Groups is the be-all, end-all of sites if you want to read through tens of thousands of posts. What I am trying to do with this site and the book, etc. is to provide a much simpler interface for beginners to intermediates. With the new advances, most quad users will not be building their own - much more likely they will be modifying, programing and FLYING.

There are a number of great quads which have just hit the market - or are about to! Unless you really want the experience of building, it is likely that you can get more for your money (and time) by purchasing a RTF or BNF model.

On the other hand, some people enjoy the hobby because they like to build things...some of those people don't even enjoy flying.

One of the main points I make in the book is for you to decide exactly which way you want to go in this hobby - and then make your buying decisions based on that. In my case, I have more interest in photography than in electronics soldering, although I certainly do know how to follow instructions and make things (I built houses, patented various mechanical devices, etc.).

Welcome!

10. Torgo 42

Torgo 42 New Member

11. Torgo 42

Torgo 42 New Member

I have learned to "modify" my X1 with rubber bands to help hold the engine mounts after a few hard landing (haha) and that the UFO cover really catches the wind hard, off it went.

12. jbrumberg

jbrumberg Member

"... and that the UFO cover really catches the wind hard, off it went." I made real portholes in the canopy in the same location and size as the fake portholes with a soldering iron. It's not real pretty, but it helps a little bit in helping "spill" the wind. I also put smaller holes (lots of them) on the top of my star fighter canopy. That may help as well, but that canopy shape appears to be "somewhat" more aerodynamic when dealing with wind. I have not actually tested this against my anemometer, but it appears those canopies become more of a nuisance in winds greater than 5 mph an by 7 mph forget it. The X1's do appear to fly better without those canopies. For me it becomes more of a visual orientation challenge at distance without a canopy, and of course there is the canopy's supposed "protective purposes".

13. ActionDrone

ActionDrone New Member

Hello

My name is Darryl from San Diego. Two years ago I was very new to RC and especially quadcopters. I didn't realize how hard it was to actually do the research. There are tons of products out there that wasted my money. I'm not an expert by far compared to many out there but I would be willing to help anyone that has any questions regarding Quadcopters. As of today I have experience and built about 5 quadcopters. I also fly some airplanes like the bixler, radjet 800 and some other ducted fan airplanes. Thank you again for making this website. I hope I can be of some help to others or be helped by others.

IceFyre13th and webman like this.
  14. webman

Welcome, Action!

Back in the days of the Whole Earth Catalog and our Back to the Land movement, we used a term which fits Quad experimentation well - "Appropriate Technology". The easy way to think of this is "the right tool for the job and nothing more or less".

Trying to use a mini for decent video and stills, for instance, could be a bit "less". Using a Hexacopter to take some personal stills of your house may be overkill.

That's why, as expressed above and in my book, it's important to decide what really floats your boat - and also keep up with the moving technology. For example, I've always suggested learning on a 3 or 4 axis Quad. But I may changed that recommendation soon because if all quads become 6-axis, there is little reason for anyone other than budding acro and plant and heli pilots to learn it.

It's going to be hard, but I'm going to try to keep this site focused on easy and low-cost ways for folks to get from 0-60 and let everyone else take it from there. As of now, though, it seems to be working as the book sales are really strong and the site has went from 2,000 pages per month read...to 40,000.

Thanks again for stopping in and being ready to share!

ActionDrone likes this.
  15. ChrisMohrSr

ChrisMohrSr New Member

I am an 84 year old retired photographer. I live in Homeland, California, where we have as many quad pilots as we get rain. NO, I have to take that back. We get a little piddling rain maybe once or twice a year, but we have absolutely no quad pilots whatsoever for as many as 50 or more miles around, as near as I can tell. And I wouldn't dare narrow it down to Phantom pilots because I know there ain't any of those around, except for me. Where the heck are all the new retirees who don't want to sit on a park bench and feed the ducks? All those who want a challenging and satisfying hobby like aerial videography.
    Seek them out and explain to them that their life isn't over, it could have a new beginning. If you know anyone like that who lives in the Homeland-Hemet area, tell them I want to start an Over The Hill Multi-Rotor Aircraft Association just for retired people who still have a creative imagination no matter what their "well-meaning" relatives tell them about the "home" not really being all that bad and all they have to do is adjust. The home is still where the heart is and flying quadcopters can take the heart soaring into the clouds and bring satisfaction they never knew existed.
    So, let everyone know that even if you are old, you can still free your spirit and fly above this sad old globe called earth.

16. IceFyre13th

IceFyre13th Guest

So, did you finally learn how to fly?

17. ChrisMohrSr

ChrisMohrSr New Member

YES, I finally acquired a DJI Phantom, the most value I've ever seen for the money. And unlike the false claims that many vendors make, you really can fly this one right out of the box, but there's so much more to it.

18. chopperpete

chopperpete New Member

Gidday mates, choperpete here from Melbourne. Just fired up my WLtoys V959 quadcopter. Got it hovering a couple of time (but wife not pleased at the crash-landings - told her had to practise indoors). Anybody know what the LCD display numbers mean - when you move the controls around it displays Ch(number) and (number)percent - what do those numbers refer to? Wish I'd bought a second battery. Used the first one up quick and getting impatient waiting for it to recharge!

19. HX4

HX4 New Member

Aloha from the Southshore (of Lake Superior). Interest in quadcopters led to a book search. Craig's book linked me to this site. Zero flying any R/C device. Just ordered a Husban X4 107L. Starting a short list that will probably get a bit longer for the must haves (spare props, spare battery, spare....)

20. Quique

Quique New Member

Hello from Spain
    60 years old , pilot retired. Complitly beginner. But starting a new job and i need to introduce my self in this world.
    All of you , experienced user, may you recomend the best QR , to take HD video , doesn't mind the price, the importan is performancces to work hard in the desert, autonomy is very importand.
    Thanks for answering ....
    And Happy Christmas