Introduce Yourself

Discussion in 'Misc. Quadcopter & Multirotor discussions' started by IceFyre13th, Mar 20, 2013.

1. YooperD2

YooperD2 New Member

Hello, I'm happy to find this site as I've been looking into this new hobby and need all the information I can find.

2. hootowl

hootowl New Member

Name is Mike. Been flying RC helicopters since 2005. Currently own a Miniature Aircraft Bobby Watts Stratus, Align Trex 600n, Trex 450 Pro, Miniature Aircraft Fury55 Nitro FBL, Eflite Blade Mcpx and a Walkera QR Ladybird quad.

3. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

Opps...sorry folks, I was fussing around and noticed that posting wasn't working right!
    Fixed....

4. BrianK

BrianK New Member

Good, thanks Webbie. Checking in from Hearth.com.

When I was a kid our family went to the local RC airstrip on Sunday afternoons to watch the local RC airplane club fly. I always wanted to get into it but could never justify the expense. However as the RC copters get more and more affordable I can see one in my future.

5. Kodiak181

Kodiak181 New Member

Greetings from Alaska! I like the site.

I just finished building my first quad. I've been readings and watching everything I can on Quads for about a year and finally pulled the trigger a few weeks ago. All I can say is wow, what a rush!

Quad is a HJ450 frame, 10x4.5 props, 1000kv brushless , KK2.0 FC, hobby king 30amp ESCs, turnigy 9x TX and RX. 3s 2200mah lipo. gets about 8 good minutes of flight.

I got the flight controller mostly tuned, she flies nicely. I've had about 6 sucessful flights and only a few dinged props. balanced a new aet of props last night and slapped an old pentax digital camera on front, shes hovers smooth, but is really choppy in motion. next step is a dampener for the camera. I love this Hobby!

pictures coming soon! (hopefully smooth flight video too!)

Dia likes this.
  6. duaner47

duaner47 New Member

Hi all. I raced RC cars about 20 years ago. Moved to the country the first of the year and have to much time on my hands. Saw some vids of quadcopters on u-tube. Bought one, liked it. Bought another, liked it even more. Getting better at flying them, only crash sometimes. Hope I can learn more here.

7. Akcobra

Akcobra Member

Greetings from Cumberland Rhode Island (USA) everyone. I'm very new to this hobby so I'm afraid I'm going to have a lot more questions than answers :). I started out with an AR Drone a few months ago, and recently upgraded to a Witespy HT-450. I'm primarily into FPV, primarily flying in Atti mode right now although I do want to learn Manual as soon as I rebuild my funds and can get a decent simulator to learn on. The rest of my gear includes a Spectrum DX7s Tx, DJI Naza FC w/GPS, Horyzon HD video/FPV cam, and Fatshark Attitude goggles w/250 mw vtz running at 5.8 ghz (hopefully going to upgrade to 600mw soon).

Anyway that's the long and the short of it. I've read through a lot of the articles on here and have already learned a lot, hoping to keep learning from the experts here, maybe eventually enough to do my own build.

8. netruner

netruner New Member

Hi All! Another RCGroups foundling! I have done some RC aircraft before Gas fueled Collective helos and 'discovered' multis about 6 months ago. Lucked into a Hoverthings HT-FPV built and mostly ready to fly on ebay and got started flying again! I will be working towards FPV as funds permit<grin>. Any other Kansans drop me a line!

9. G-rott

G-rott New Member

Hi All,

I too am checking in from the hearth.com, I was looking for a site like this two years ago...thanks. Noob info that even I can understand. Craig runs a good site, I'm sure this will be no different.

Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend.

10. Ron Mowen

Ron Mowen New Member

Hi everybody,
    Just logged on here from RCGroups. Been flying helis for about 7 yrs. and quadcopters for a year. Looking forward to gaining more info. about this fun hobby.

Ron (heliron69)

11. james clem

james clem New Member

FIRST post here... i have made my first ar. drone purchase last week and i cant put this thing down......
    being a long time geek i am now looking to mod the shizzel out of this.... found this forum and i like what i see....
    i live in the northeast part of pa. (abington ) and look foward to many hours reading...
    thanks

12. raybonz

raybonz New Member

Hi Craig! Just taking a look at your new forum! Good luck :)

Ray

13. Rob H

Rob H New Member

Hello everyone! Im recently temporarily disabled and came across quads while searching for FPV R/Cs to help kill time. Although im as green as they come to quads, I have plenty of experience in other R/Cs. I helped my dad build gliders and other airplanes when I was about 10 from blueprints. Was into 4wd cars for a couple years then started to mess with monster trucks and buggys. I have built lots of frankensteins in my time, some worked great.. others not so much. I tried getting into heli's and found it challenging without breaking something at every flight. Then I purchased my first quad and had my first test flights today. Now im hooked! I chose the Syma x1 recommended for noob quad flyers and it was a blast. Now im looking to put together a 450 as my next project. I cant wait!

14. xtnomad

xtnomad New Member

Hello every one, Glad I found the site. I started in control line ( Cox Flier, I think ) and balsa models and no R/C. But then came cars and girls and did not get back into till a few years ago. My first mini quad wil be here next week after playing with a friends and I am hooked. A little back ground, I am a semi retired master auto mechanic, amature radio operator, semi pro photographer.I know i can mix all my experiences in this and have some fun too.

15. MasterBlazter

MasterBlazter New Member

Hello all! Another wood burner from the Hearth. I learned a tremendous amount over at Hearth.com, and I can't wait to dig in here and siphon your knowledge. Judging from your work at my favorite forum, I know this will be a great place to learn. I am trying to decide what platform to start with, and i am sure i will get some good advice here Hopefully I can contribute somewhere down the road. Thank you for taking on this endeavor Craig.

16. BrotherBart

BrotherBart New Member

Well, reading all of these posts did it. Not a drone or quad but just ordered a Syma S34 toy R/C Chinook to get some practice crashing.

My first R/C anything.

webman likes this.
  17. Mg photo

Mg photo New Member

Well I am a big time newbie, I just purchased a DJI F550 kit to learn how to fly. Everyone I talked to early on in my pursuit of looking told me I would get bored with a quad especially since I was looking to take photos while flying around. I look forward to following this site and learning a lot?

18. RcColorado

RcColorado New Member

This will be my first year flying quadcopters. I have some experience with RC Airplanes, but I for the moment I am trying to learn all I can about quadcopters, FPV, drones, etc to increase my experience.

I have a DualSky Hornet 460 on the way and I can't wait to see how she handles!
    Any recommendations for a receiver for the Hornet? I'll be using a dx6i transmitter.

Look forward to learning with and from you all!

19. sepiroth21

sepiroth21 New Member

Hey guys, complete newbie here, i just got interested in RC stuff recently.

20. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

Any dx compatible receiver should do fine! The Hornet is flown, at least stock, quite close to you as it has no self-leveling or other similar features. Flying it to a distance where you cannot easily see orientation of all (level, heading, etc.) types is gonna end badly!

According to the distributor, they are going to (now or soon) have an improved Flight Controller available for it which has some self-leveling in it (FC450 as opposed to FC430?) .......