DJI Phantom Questions

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by shotbyadam, Jul 13, 2014.

1. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

This does not have the gimbal and is probably a slightly older model. The price is nothing special.
    Check the model differences here:
    https://www.droneflyers.com/2014/09/dji-phantom-models-differences-hobbyists-guide/

2. dillonmcgee

dillonmcgee New Member

OK Quick question- if i get the Phantom 2 vision can i add my own FPV transmitter to it to extend the FPV control? in order to get better range? i would use the original camera that came with it or a gopro

3. webman

Can't be done. The Phantom 2 Vision+ is an integrated system.

If you want to fiddle around with range, you'd want to put your own system together using the P2 and Zenmuse gimbal and lots of other fancy parts. There are some examples around the web of people doing this and getting 2 mile range.

Personally - and also legally in my case (USA), I find that the stock ranges are more than enough for anything I do. When the P2 is at 250 feet of height, it's a dot in the sky. At a certain distance you are relying 100% on the vehicle systems (RTH, control lock,etc.) to retrieve the vehicle.

4. dillonmcgee

dillonmcgee New Member

alright well the 700m range would be plenty for me but i think the range of 300m with the vision 2,, (not 2 plus) is a bit too short.. but i may be wrong... but if i were to get just the phantom 2, plus a low relatively cheap but good FPV system what FPV system would you suggest ? ideally not more than $200,, i have a gopro hero 3 + camera

5. dillonmcgee

dillonmcgee New Member

6. webman

Sure, that looks like it will work - but it uses a separate camera and googles.....it's up to you whether you want to have two people (one spotter, one with the glasses on)....or, as most people do, just use a monitor screen.

7. webman

Remember that inexpensive FPV systems need some good tuning to be able to do even the range of the stock P2V+ (200-300 meters).....you need to upgrade antennas, change the orientation, shield them, etc.
    My cheapo FPV Phantom system has all kids of little glitches and can act funny when the camera (GP or Mobius) is taking pictures, etc.

My summary is this. The Vision+ is by far the best total system you can get for that price. BUT, if you want to spend quite a bit more and do a lot of fussing and tuning, you can make an FPV/GP system do as much or more. However, a cheapo FPV system often comes with performance problems also.

My Phantom is a dot in the sky at 300 feets - let alone 500 or 600. I find that many good aerial photos and videos are done at much lower altitudes.