Review or Mini-Review WL Toys V272 Nano-sized Quadcopter

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by webman, May 22, 2014.

1. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

I wanted to like this quadcopter - but it's not in the cards.

As we noted in an earlier editorial, it's rare to find negative reviews on quadcopters. This is for many reasons, some of them detailed in our article:
    https://www.droneflyers.com/2013/04/why-are-there-very-few-negative-reviews-on-drones-and-quadcopters/

If you want some more positive reviews, google the model # and you will find them. I'm going to write my own opinion below.

Price: This quadcopter is priced very well - in fact, it's one of the lowest cost quadcopters available. I was able to find a deal (tmart, in this case) for TWO of these - one in the complete package and one as the quad only, for about $43 shipped.
    boxes.jpg
    The packaging looked better than many earlier WL models - it seems they are getting the hint that many of the buyers are not kids.

Included in the RTF package are the quad, the TX, a USB charger and one set of spare props.
    included.jpg
    The quadcopter itself is another miracle in engineering - very tiny, yet with all the systems of a larger quadcopter. The battery is built-in, but at the same time it uses a common connector so that hobbyists can rig up additional batteries if desired.
    The USB charging connector seems better engineered than the one I ran into problems with on the Estes Nano.
    top.jpg bottom.jpg
    (top - with battery moved out of the way)
    (bottom - pic with QC sticker).

Once I charged it up, I took to the air - and that's when the problems started.

This quadcopter handles very poorly. It exhibits a number of troubling flight characteristics, including - but not limited to:
    1. General "boat like" behavior - difficult to control in small spaces due to over-correction and slow self-leveling.
    2. Drifting - a tendency which changes vastly depending on various metrics, such as the level of charge in the battery.
    3. Props fall off quite easily.
    4. Extremely slow yaw rate makes banking and flying in small spaces difficult.

All of these add up to a very poor flight experience. It's almost impossible to fly this and not constantly crash into walls, furniture and/or anything else which may be in the room.

I carefully checked all aspects of the unit - and made sure to fly both units a number of times so I could determine if I had a defective copy. Alas, it doesn't seem so. Both reacted in generally the same way.

In a normal review I would post a number of things such as the weight, battery size, sources for purchase and parts, etc. - however, none of these mean very much if a quad is not flyable and fun.

This one meets the Droneflyers.com criteria for "don't buy". If, however, you desire to read a couple hundred other opinions on this toy, check out the thread at RC Groups:
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2108555

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  2. webman

Summary:

Note: this is coming from the point of view of someone who was not impressed with the Estes Nano.

The v272 improves on the Hubsan Quads/Estes in a few ways. The charging system is set up better - my Estes connector broke quickly.

It is also quite durable - I'll give them that.

But when it comes to the "fun" factor, I just don't see it. The flight performance reminds me of a boat - once headed in a direction, it doesn't want to easily change. This and other flight tendencies make it difficult to fly in a small area and not hit the walls and floors....and since that is the whole idea of a smaller quad, it makes me question why I'd want one??

The larger controller may be nice - but for those who like the idea of a smaller load to carry and travel with, it does away with some of the reasoning. The Estes Nano bound with the (Hubsan Quads) X4 (larger TX) controller seems better sized....

All in all, I'm not impressed. The quad itself is engineered decently, but with the stock controller and no control over the rates (except the 3 settings), I just haven't been able to get excited.

To confirm my conclusion, I pulled out the old standard - the Hubsan Quads X4 - and flew in the same areas. There was no comparison - the X4 performed better in every way, including the "fun factor". As it stands, we at Droneflyers suggest the Hubsan Quads X4 or the Syma x series as better quads for beginners - in fact, the Hubsan Quads X4 is a quad that you will likely never let sit on the shelf, even after you are more experienced. It's a quad "done right" despite their earlier problems (fixed in current versions).

I am looking forward to a nano with better flight moxie. Or, maybe it's just the nature of the beast - maybe the battery and motors are just too large in comparison to the props and their separation? Larger quadcopters seem to have a much better "glide ratio", meaning that they seem to have more lifting power in relation to their size. As an example, the much larger v262 dances like a ballerina when compared to the v272. Same goes with the HubsanX4.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  3. drontastic

drontastic New Member

Where did you get it? Could it be a manufacturer/product problem with faulty parts in your unit?
    Then again, it's an unfair comparison I think.. The Hubsan Quads X4 is really smooth, and sets a pretty high benchmark (let's not mention that it's really affordable too!). So it's really tough to beat.

Then again, if your parts are falling off like you mentioned, maybe you want to check with the manufacturer for a refund if it came with a warranty. But really good article on the "don't buy" criteria. It was well written.

Peace brah!

4. webman

Hard to imagine 2 units (I bought two) being defective - and, reading through other review threads (other sites), I noticed talk of the same problems and tendencies. Some people are OK with that stuff - after all, for about $20-25 it's hard to complain.

I just wanted to make it clear that there are better alternatives for the beginner. I keep trying to enjoy mine but, alas, I'll probably put them up for sale or a giveaway soon. It's hard to go backwards in this hobby and, as you say, the X4 blows this thing away.

In the end, there has to be a reason for a "new" quad to exist, and this one lacks one. I suppose there is a good nano somewhere, but this isn't it. I never tested the Blade Nano...and some are saying the new JXD nano is decent.

I really am thinking some of it is a matter of physics and mechanics. These lack any "glide ratio" - not to say that multi-copters truly glide, but these seem to feel heavy. Cut the throttle a little bit and they fall like a stone - try to correct by giving them some gas, and they don't react well.

The worst quality of this model is it's difficult to keep in one place. You can fly an X4 and then shake the sticks in different directions and the quad will properly correct itself...without flying all over the room. In the case of this quad, it just starts to correct further and further away....until you probably end up landing it quickly or hitting a wall.

Sure, I could put more hours in it and master it - but it lacks the fun factor which would lead me to do so.

5. atariguy

atariguy New Member

I accidentally bought one of these without the controller, thinking I was getting a terrific deal on a quadcopter I could fly inside the house, in practice for flying my Syma X1 outside. Now I don't know whether to keep it as a knick knack or try to find a controller that doesn't cost twice as much as the thing did in the first place. Unfortunately it doesn't work with the X1 controller. But if it's really no fun to fly, I guess there's no point spending any more on it. :(

6. webman

You can probably pick up a TX for next to nothing.....just for the price of shipping....
    Or, spring for that next toy you want - if it's a v272, for example, you get a TX with it that will then work with both this and that.

I may even have an extra TX sitting around....if so it's yours for shipping. If I don't have one, you can probably find one easily for about $10 shipped with a wanted ad on rcgroups or here.

7. atariguy

atariguy New Member

That would be awesome if you happen to have an extra one!

8. webman

I do.
    Send me a private message with your address and I'll get it in the mail (as long as you are USA).

PW's are called "conversations" here and you can start them by clicking on my username under the avatar and then start conversation or from the top menu on right under inbox...