1. Dr. Mac

Dr. Mac New Member

Hi everybody. I am totally new to this hobby, I have no RC experience, but I have recently started to get interested in quads. It started with watching av clip on youtube about the DJI Phantom, and I thought that this is a hobby I could really enjoy. After reading lots of posts on different forums and reviews, my plan is to start out with a small "beginner" quad, and then advance to a bigger and more advanced one. I was planning to get the Syma X1, but then the V222 looked very interesting as well. I couldn`t resist the idea of small quad to a decent price, with a premounted camera, ready to fly. So I have recently ordered the V222 with extra batteries and props. Then I start to read a few more posts about the V222, where I find that lots of people have experienced "drop out" problems with the quad, as I understand; it looses connection, and falls to the ground. What do you guys think, have I made a bad choice ? should I have gone for the previous model, or perhaps the X1 or Hubsan Quads X4 ? Anyone who has any experience with the V222 ?

2. jbrumberg

jbrumberg Member

Welcome Dr. Mac:

If one is so inclined any of those choices could have been a good choice. The Syma X1 and V222 are a little large to learn to fly indoors, but they all can get one started on "The Path" if one is so predisposed. Once you get past basic hovering and orientation exercises (figure 8's etc.) they really perform best outdoors. The Syma X1 is the only 3 axis quadcopter of those quads you mentioned. A 3 axis quadcopter requires more Tx stick input than a 6 axis quad. Some people consider 3 axis quads to be better "trainers" for flying because of the need for constant stick adjustment. For video 6 axis stabilization is superior to 3 axis.

3. Dr. Mac

Dr. Mac New Member

Hi jbrumberg, thanks for your answer. I thought of getting the Syma X1 for the reason you mentioned, but its a little too late now.. :( Well, its not that expensive, so maybe I will get that as well later. I just hope there won`t be any problems with the v222...

4. jbrumberg

jbrumberg Member

FYI: Just in case you do not already know another site that has a wealth of information on is rcgroups.com. I've read a lot about the V222 and all the WL Toys RC products (own 3 V911's) but I am not an V222 owner/operator so I'll let owners post about their drop out challenges. There are few very knowledgeable V222 owner/operator members here.

5. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

Those drop out problems should be fixed by now. Your main concern should now be learning to fly it without destroying it before you get to take some good videos! Start outside - even if it's cold - where you have some room around you and when the wind is not too strong. I flew this mission today with my Phantom to further test the new SC 500 camera.

6. Dr. Mac

Dr. Mac New Member

Cool video, webman, this is the kind of stuff I want to do eventually as well ! Very nice video quality. Looks like there is no problem flying in cold weather, I had some concern about maybe the battery wouldn`t last as long etc. in cold weather. Its about -5 degrees where I live right now, but it will get colder..(Centigrade), I guess around 23-24 Farenheit.

7. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

I think the copter and batteries are usually warmer anyway because you bring them from a car or from the house - I don't fly for very long anyway. I think I got about 8 minutes today because the DJI is fairly heavy with the cam and prop guards. But that's plenty long.

Once you get used to the 222 and flying, step up to a v262 and a Mobius cam. The whole setup will be under $200 and provide great stills and some decent videos too. You'll see my stills with the Mobius under the aerial photo forum here (Rhode Island and W. Mass).

I just started with the Phantom- couldn't resist the new low price and I've now been in the hobby for over a year, so I deserve it! (paid some dues......)