[Phantom 3 Standard] Quality Issue - Help wanted

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by benoitbelgium, Jun 14, 2017.

1. benoitbelgium

benoitbelgium New Member

Hi everyone,

Been reading up on P3S quality debate (D-log, bitrate, etc.) but I can't seem to get anything decent out of my camera. Below a few screenshots. If anyone has any pointers, please let me know.

D-LOG | 2.7K | 30fps | -1, -1, -1
    Ungraded Screencap
    Graded Screencap

Is this the normal output of D-log? I'm barely able to bring back ANY color The only thing that looks remotely acceptable is the road.

AUTO | 1080 | 30fps | 0, 0, 0
    Ungraded Screencap
    Graded Screencap
    Youtube to Graded Footage

This is a little better, but in the dark areas there is still some jitter going on. Thoughts on what's causing that?

I am going on a road trip soon and I thought I could get footage like this because it's the same kind of drone. I am assuming I'm doing something wrong. Help!

Cheers

2. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

Keep in mind that the P3S is sold as a "beginners drone". It has all those photos and video options simply because the DJI Go App contains most of them, so it was no trouble for DJI to build them in.

My opinion is that the short youtube video clip looks fairly good - definitely good when you consider the price of the drone. Keep in mind you are operating a $50 camera - the rest is the gimbal, R/C Flight Controller, motors, battery, etc.

You need to judge the results against a low cost fixed focus camera.

I never use any mode other than the standard (default) and I do very little editing. I try to take my video when the lighting conditions are good - evenings, etc.

The bitrate, I think, is 40 Mbps, which should be fine for HD work. The new Spark is only 24 Mpps and it does a decent job.

If you are going to shoot in bright sunlight (video), then you should consider polarizers or ND Filters.

As far as jitter - it could be a lot of things. Wind, improper camera settings, lack of proper calibration, etc.

Make sure you update all firmware and also do IMU and Gimbal Calibrations. Also, on a low priced model like that (or any model, really) don't expect to be able to use 100% of the video you take. Make sure you take enough that you can pick out the best parts and edit them together.