New Product Announcement Parrot BeBop discussion thread

Discussion in 'Misc. Quadcopter & Multirotor discussions' started by webman, May 12, 2014.

1. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

Starting a thread here for speculation and other stuff about the new Parrot BeBop Drone:

Let's start with guesses about whether or not it will be a success and what the price will be.

I say it will sell very well. I also think the price will be lower than most people speculate. Looking at the machine, I can't imagine a high cost of materials. They'd done away with the complexity of gimbals - most of the smarts seems to be in improved software.

The camera is probably the highest cost item - maybe a production cost of $50.

My guess for the whole package is $649.00

I don't think it is designed to compete directly against many of the quads out there. They seem to have done their homework and realized that there is a whole group of consumers who don't need to fly really far or high - but just want a drone to be an extension of their smartphone camera. I think they've found a good hole in the market to fill, leaving the more technical folks to the 3D Robotics and other more configurable multirotors.

Funny - I was just about to write Parrot off completely in terms of the drone biz.....