Found! An Alternative Flight Battery For Hubsan H501S!

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by Dave1960, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Dave1960

Dave1960 New Member

Quad batteries.jpg Quad Hatch.jpg Quad Light.jpg View attachment 872 View attachment 873 View attachment 871 View attachment 871 View attachment 872 View attachment 873 View attachment 871 View attachment 872 Hi guys - hope this comes in useful for others!
    I picked up a used Hubsan Quads H501S last week with one flight battery.
    The stock battery is a "no-name" Chinese brand supposedly 2700Mah 2S 10C.
    To buy one of these batteries in the UK prices vary from £20 - £27 which is VERY expensive. Searching through the HK pages I found this alternative: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__51384__Rhino_2150mAh_2S_7_4v_25C_Lipoly_Pack_UK_Warehouse_.html?strSearch=Rhino 21
    OK so its rated at just 2150 mAh BUT is a 20C rated battery. It is pretty much IDENTICAL in size (just 3mm longer than stock) and within a few grams in weight to the stock battery, it actually slips in to the quad a fraction better than the standard item. I simply can't believe that the stock battery is actually a 2700 if this identically sized battery is only rated at 2150.
    But to be honest I'm not worried if I get a couple of minutes less flight time on the alternative packs because they cost 1/4 of the price of a stock Lipo!
    I've made a mod to the battery door to allow for the extra 3mm length (which makes it hard to close with the wires inside) I did this on a phantom 1.1.1 too a few years back and to be frank although it does spoil the lines of the quad a little I find it reassuring that I can disarm the quad externally now. You'll also note that I have replaced the standard connector on the quad using a new XT30 plug - I prefer them and it's much easier to connect than the stock connector. I'm just working on some ultra bright 3W LED Nav Lights now as the stock LEDs are as much use as a chocolate teapot! The new lights will be quickly removable so I can switch them to use as wingtip lights on a couple of planes I have too. All in all I'm loving this little quad EXCEPT it eats batteries in the TX. Maybe I'll look at a lipo to power that too, regulating the voltage shouldn't be too hard and I'll fit the pack externally on the rear of the TX.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  2. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

No real regulation needed. The board accepts a wide range of voltage.

Nice hack BTW.

3. Dave1960

Dave1960 New Member

Thanks RG Jameson, Icarried out a flight test tonight using the stock "2700" versus the Rhino 2150. Guess what? In a GPS locked hover BOTH flew 17 minutes at which point the telemetry read 6.8V in the battery. Given the price difference it's a no brainer- buy the Rhinos and have 3 batteries instead of 1!

4. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

What did HK ding you for shipping?

5. Dave1960

Dave1960 New Member

£4.50 shipping for 2 days from UK to UK.On reflection the Rhino is probably a superior choice, it was quite blustery when I tested with it, the quad was making a lot of corrections whereas the wind had disappeared when I tested the Hubsan Quads battery.Just my opinion though!