Found a Bebop 1.0 Drone, Questions...

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by Regular Guy, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Regular Guy

Regular Guy New Member

So, I woke up yesterday and found this Bebop (1.0) in my front yard. I believe it is working, but the battery is dead and I don't have a charger. I'm going to turn the item over to the police to try to claim it legally after 30 days. Now, I don't really know anything about these things, but I'm wondering the following things:

1) Can the owner trace the GPS to me after I have legally claimed it?
    2) Can the owner remotely control the device if I charge it and power it on?
    3) Is the item likely to be registered with Parrot, and will I be able to re-register it? Will I need to?
    4) Can I safely register the Bebop with the FAA once I have legally taken ownership?
    5) Is there anything else about this device that can prevent me from taking full ownership of it?
    6) Do I need a "SkyController" to use this?

2. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

I wouldn't bother with the police, etc - maybe just put something on craigslist or any local thing like that - if the person has any sense, they would post something up on telephone poles.

If they don't come asking for it - then it's sorta finders-keepers. They should have put their phone number or email address on it.
    1. No, they can't trace it....in any reasonably easy way.
    2. No, they can't control it.
    3. No reason to register it - but that's not a legal thing anywhere. I think anyone can download and use the app.
    4. Sure, FAA doesn't care.
    5. No, there is nothing - it is essentially a toy.
    6. You don't need the Skycontrollers - that is for longer range

Hope it works out for you, You are doing the right thing simply by holding it and checking the local telephone poles and maybe posting on craiglist. Other than that, I don't think you need to worry too much about it. The value of it is quite low and it is on your property.

3. Regular Guy

Regular Guy New Member

Thank you very much. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

4. Regular Guy

Regular Guy New Member

Could the item still be paired to the previous owner's phone or Skycontroller, and be picked up if the drone flies into his/her vicinity?