FIRST FLIGHT REPORT for an old newbie

Discussion in 'Misc. Quadcopter & Multirotor discussions' started by gwtx, Jun 6, 2016.

1. gwtx

gwtx New Member

AMAZING! Thanks to the advice and info on this forum, it went really well. The last time I had a smile like this on my face was when I got my private pilot's license :) The highlight was chasing the cats around the yard, after I got the feel of the controls. This is one amazing machine. I took a couple of still pics and a little video. I'm not real familiar with photography, and I'm sure I didn't have the cam optimized. The still pic was very good, but the video was jerky when the bird was in motion. Afterwards, I checked and it was set for 1080/60fps. I changed it to 30 fps, and next time I fly, I'll see what that does,,and do some research in the meantime.
    Thanks again, Gary

2. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

Good to hear!
    I started flying quads at a very high stress time in my life and found that I also started laughing and forgot about everything else other than flying and laughing. Good therapy!

I use 1080/60 on my Phantom 3Pro - it's usually the best setting for stabilized gimbal cameras - the idea is that you can slow it down to up to 1/2 speed in post processing and still have 30 frames.

3. gwtx

gwtx New Member

Thanks webman. After doing a little research, I have found a number of things to look into.

4. Prairie Pyro

Prairie Pyro Member

I was beginning to think that we would not hear from you again. I help moderate a site for pellet stoves and if things go well usually don't hear much until another problem arises.

5. gwtx

gwtx New Member

No, you'll probably get tired of hearing from me. :) The more I get into this stuff, the more questions I'll have. I can do the research, but there's no substitute for experienced advice, and I appreciate it much. So far, the only option that would really appeal to me would be a Zooom lens. So I can see "things" from farther away so as not to spook them with the "mad bumble bee" sound. I didn't realize these things were so loud, but I think it will work fine for my purposes.
    I can check on things from the front yard instead of having to drive to the location. Thanks for the reply.