Multirotor News Link DJI sues Yuneec!

Discussion in 'New Products, News, Advancements, etc.' started by webman, Apr 1, 2016.

1. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/1/11347470/dji-patent-lawsuit-against-yuneec-drones

Personally I don't like the idea of this...my thoughts below:

I don't think DJI understands the bad PR they are going to generate if they do stuff like this. Sure, it may be a select few who pay attention at that level - but a quick look at the suit looks as if it's an anti-competitive measure as opposed to a true IP situation.

DJI may very well have patents of sorts and they have full rights to protect them - but just the wording of the lawsuit screams "we don't like having any competitors especially those who claim they give more for the money, so we'll slap you with this".

DJI may be superior to the H - but, if so, the marketplace is the best place for that to sort out. Perhaps DJI should negotiate behind the scenes if their IP is truly being used - and get royalties, etc.

But I agree - this is a prime example of DJI not fully understanding the mentality of the "influencers" in this hobby. Not to say it will hurt them immediately or at all - still, it frames them as ruthless in a way which is different than in the past.

Then again, Steve Jobs was ranting against Android until his passing....and against Windows for many years prior. I suppose big egos are the norm in this type of thing.