General Hint DJI GO app...what tablet to get??

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by jmj618635, Sep 5, 2015.

1. jmj618635

jmj618635 New Member

I just got a Phantom 3 Professional this week and have tried getting the app downloaded and having a bunch of problems. It will download on my Android Turbo phone, but can't get it to open up once I connect it to the remote control. I have Android version 5.1 on my phone. I have tried downloading the DJI Go app on my ipad Air and it says "the app is not compatible with your device". I have version 8.4.1 installed on my ipad. I know a guy who has a Nexus 7 and he says that works with his Phantom 3 Pro. Hate to keep buying things and have the same problem. Thanks for any advice!!

2. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

They list the devices that work - and some others work also.
    I went the budget route and purchased a refurb Nexus 7" 2013 model for about $100. This is on the list and is also a perfect size.
    Before that I used a Moto-G android phone - purchased for $30 without cell service - and that worked also.

Android 5.1 should be fine - I think that's on my Nexus also.

Many pilot say that IOS works best - but to get an IOS device with a GPS chip in it is expensive (the Nexus 7 has GPS). Of course, you don't need a GPS chip in the tablet, but it may help if you want to do some various intelligent navigation (follow me, etc.) stuff.

Those with the cash usually say the ipad mini models (those specified by DJI) are the best overall.

3. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

4. Daddy Rabbit

Daddy Rabbit New Member

Does your video have any lag using the Nexus 7"?

5. webman

For my purposes it usually does not. But my standards on this are probably not really high since I always fly LOS and don't really use the tablet to do anything except frame the video and the pictures. No doubt a top-end IOS device would work better, but this is good enough IMHO. If I were a pro and charging for my work I might step up.

6. jmj618635

jmj618635 New Member

What am I doing wrong?? I got the app loaded on my Nexus 7, but I can't open the equipment page to get the camera view. I have downloaded and installed the DJI Go app a couple times and still haven't gotten to try my new toy out. Thanks

7. webman

Nexus 7 II (2013 model)?
    Remote turned on and USB plugged into remote? Try a different USB cable.
    P3 turned on and camera and gimbal guard removed?

If all of this is working, try rebinding the Phantom. It is a menu command in the Go app.

Make sure you are in a wireless area with a good signal when you first turn on your Phantom- it needs to be registered and check in with the mothership (cloud, DJI, etc.).

8. Arsui.net

Arsui.net New Member

ios perfect than android ;)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  9. kingjames705

kingjames705 New Member

Strange the iPad Pro didn't work. From what I understand Apple products tend to work better with the DJI GO app, I have even heard of some people having issues with the Crystal Sky and that's made specifically for DJI drones. If anyone's looking for some of the best DJI GO compatible tablet, this list and comparison may be of some help.